Circuit to make Christmas lights dance to music

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I'm looking for a circuit to make christmas lights dance to music. Just wondering if I can rectify the output from an amplifier and run that into the DC input of a solid state relay and then connect the christmas lights to the load side of the solid state relay. Has anyone tried this? Will it work?

Interesting idea. As solid state relays tend to have an internal constant current drive on the input side, I doubt you will get any result other than permenantly on lights that go off when the song ends.

You might have more luck with a conventional relay with 5V coil, and an L-pad from the amp to get an appropriate trigger level to listening level. With todays compressed music though, you might not get a very good result.

Hi,

I'm looking for a circuit to make christmas lights dance to music. Just wondering if I can rectify the output from an amplifier and run that into the DC input of a solid state relay and then connect the christmas lights to the load side of the solid state relay. Has anyone tried this? Will it work?

It is not new.

I've seen a "colour organ" circuit with high, low, and mid filters to drive SCR's...in the 70's.

Use isolation transformers for drive and full wave the AC so SCR's can be used as a low side switch...that way the SCR's are turning off @ 120Hz.

Different bulb colours for bass, mid and high frequencies.

Hi,
You can use a bunch of voltage comparators setting them at different voltage and connect them to the speaker output. Each one output will be connected to an SSR. Each SSR will turn ON each row of light depending of the speaker voltage output. I never tried it but I was thinking to built one using the comparators.

Use this circuit. You may need to amplify the audio signal ahead of the input - a small chip amp or any low power utility amplifier is all that's needed. Use the MOC3010 or MOC3020 optoisolator - it has a a triac-driver output rather than the traditional photo-NPN-transistor output and don't need an additional isolated driver circuit.

The opto input can be DC coupled if you want to control from logic or use phase control for dimming. I built my first disco light system when I was 15 using a bank of thse controlled form various sources. What I'm using today DJing still uses these driver circuits built into each light board. If you end up with a ground loop (in a large system you will) couple the audio in with a standard mains transformer. Step the voltage UP and you can drive from a monitor headphone jack.

Attachments

• triac_driver.PNG
    triac_driver.PNG
    18.7 KB · Views: 106
Hi,
You can use a bunch of voltage comparators setting them at different voltage and connect them to the speaker output. Each one output will be connected to an SSR. Each SSR will turn ON each row of light depending of the speaker voltage output. I never tried it but I was thinking to built one using the comparators.

Ah, the 'power meter mode'! Use an LM3914. This can drive the optos directly. 'Dot mode' looks really cool with concentric rings of C9's on a board. Too bad they're getting scarce, and that LED technology hasn't quite caught up yet. LED C9's are about as bright as an old C5. Give them a couple more years.

It is not new.

I've seen a "colour organ" circuit with high, low, and mid filters to drive SCR's...in the 70's.

Use isolation transformers for drive and full wave the AC so SCR's can be used as a low side switch...that way the SCR's are turning off @ 120Hz.

Different bulb colours for bass, mid and high frequencies.

Maplin did a sound to light kit in the late 70's.
It filters low, mids and highs to drive 3 SCR's.
It had pulse transformers for isolation.

Way back when in the mid 70s when I worked as a club DJ, I had two systems - one that ran 220V lamps all around the main room, and one which ran 12V projectors around the dance floor...
Main sensitivity, channel sensitivity and filter settings were the usual controls...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.