How can this happen to a RCA cable?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've had this particular RCA cable for quite a while and always hung on to it as it was as evidently a quality one and never let me down. In fact, I've been using it to connect my phono pre to my amp ,

Yesterday I got another (new) quality cable and decide to use the old cable for my headphone amp.

However when connected to my head phone, it was now completely dead .
Long story short... (yeah, I said WTF a few times) it turns out that the cable's center contacts in both channels were now completely dead ..... absolutely no conductivity.... . all grounds are OK though....... .all checked with my multi meter .

I can understand one channel going bad on any cable but, both at exactly the same time?

Everything works until it breaks.
FWIW I service Guitar Amps and lots of people start with: "but it worked with no problems for xx years!!".

That reminds me......
I once had a (SS) Peavey bass amp the just died one day. .
Turns out it blew an output transistor.

As far as my RCA cable...... .
On closer inspection, all four center contacts are loose and it was evidently just a matter of time until ........
It's just a coincident that both sides died together.

It's been said that coincidences happen all the time but it's just that strange ones that we notice.

Anyway, at least the cable died of old age. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.