Flea Market Finds - Tips/Advice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am going to a flea market in San Jose tomorrow, and I was wondering if anyone here has experiece looking for hi-fi stuff at a place like this. I am only interested in units for DIY related stuff; ie gutting the power supply, case, connectors, switches for my own projects (if I ever start any :)).

I am relatively new the DIY audio scene, and don't know too much about gutting stuff. What should I look out for? I want to build a GainClone; should I be on the lookout for something with transformers in it? Does a regular old VCR player have transformers?

Is there any other ideas/tips? Any specific equipment I should be on the lookout for? Also, any info on haggling...like should I go down to....50% of asking price? ;)

Thanks!

Save your money. Go to your local repair shops and ask them for their non repairables. Every shop has a room full of them just waiting for a ride to the dump and will usually give the stuff away to a sincere hobbyist. This is a great source for chassis and power supply parts that are in excellent shape for free.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.