Amplifier driven LEDs - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th September 2014, 05:20 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Amplifier driven LEDs

I wish to make LED illuminated bed which would respond to either surrounding music in room or direct input from i.e. mobile phone. Amplifier would be powered from usb charger and LEDs can be directly connected to it.

Amplifier used would be 3W+3W. Output 4/8 Ohm.

Would it be possible to connect LEDS to amplifier without using speakers since I believe LEDs don't have resistance in such way?

I don't know specifics about amplifier and microphone I will use, but could microphone be connected to amplifier input and produce enough electricity to activate amplifier?
Old 17th September 2014, 06:06 PM   #2
adason is offline adason  United States
diyAudio Member

since the music is very dynamic thing, be prepared to have LEDs either dark, iluminated for short time, or dead...burnt from overload of voltage...that's what you most likely get when you power LED directly by an amplifier.
Just a note, if LEDs resitance is too low for an amplifier, you can put few in series...but then previous problem with dynamic nature of the music will remain.

You would be far better of to build signal level indicator based on LEDs...there is many kits around, those have LEDs fully lit without overload, just a number of LEDs indicate the signal level.
Old 17th September 2014, 06:30 PM   #3
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

And for general information try googling "color organ".
Old 17th September 2014, 06:41 PM   #4
Vasquo is offline Vasquo  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark2knife View Post
Would it be possible to connect LEDS to amplifier without using speakers since I believe LEDs don't have resistance in such way?
Don't connect your LEDs directly to amplifier. You'd be shorting your amplifier outputs on each half of the waveform.

As Enzo said, google "Color Organ"... at its simplest, it's basically audio bandpass filters connected to a driver circuit. The driver circuit can then drive LEDs (via transistors used as a switch), or through a high voltage TRIAC, to drive 110V/220V lamps.

Only the relevant frequencies (low, mid, high) will then light up it's related lamps.

You can connect this color organ via line level input, or have an additional mic circuit/amplifier in the front end to pick up the room sound. Electret mic for this application will be good enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark2knife View Post
I don't know specifics about amplifier and microphone I will use, but could microphone be connected to amplifier input and produce enough electricity to activate amplifier?
You need a mic preamp, as a mic will not have sufficient voltage to drive the inputs of an amplifier.
Old 17th September 2014, 11:27 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thank you all, I decided to use color organ just as bass filter and mic with built in preamp.

adason, I don't worry about overloading LEDs because single one can take 5V from USB so amplifier won't be able to damage them at all.

Hide this!Advertise here!