Hi-Fi, Stereo, DIY and WAF in 1957. A Video

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I almost fell off the chair laughing when I caught the answer from "Smith" to the question about "What does it take to build . . .?":
"Money, a thorough knowledge of electronic theory, spare time, wife threatening to leave you . . . "
Even before that line, I was laughing out loud at the visual image of an electronics workbench occupying about half the space in the LIVING ROOM! To top it off, except for the bench itself where the moderator encountered "Smith" busily assembling his amplifier, the rest of the living room looked like no normal family had ever used it, much less assembled any electronic project there. And then there's the tool board hanging on the wall - populated with tools such as the 3/8" drive socket brace that would never be used on projects such as what "Smith" was building.

Oh, the incredible stereotypes we believed in those days!

Dale

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yes, but were they true?

One nice thing about the film is that it reminds us of an important part of 50s-60s Hi-Fi. The component builder. You could buy drivers and ready made cabinets individually, or build your own cabinets from scratch or kits. A lot of that survives today. But not so much buying an amp or turntable chassis without a box and building your own.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.