Ripping Analog Tapes?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If you have Windows, Sound Recorder will do a cheap & cheerful job of recording to a .WAV file. On my Win2K box, it's under Start->Programs->Accessories->Entertainment, or you could search for sndrec32.exe.

On Linux, your very simplest option is probably dd'ing from /dev/audio to a raw file, then using something like SoX (e.g. http://sourceforge.net/projects/sox/) to convert the result to a WAV.

For simple WAV editing I generally use SoundForge, which came free with my sound card, but other folks I know use CoolEdit to good effect.

Cheers
IH

A little off topic

I had someone approach me a while back for a proposal to convert a warehouse of 1/4" 7 1/2 IPS tapes to MP-3's.

In order to do the work efficiently I proposed capturing the tapes played back at 15 IPS while sampling at 96 KHz. I figured I could get the FHG software jeeped (a little research made this look very likely) to take these non standard samples and convert them to play back at 48 KHz.

I figured I wouldn’t have too much trouble EQ-ing and setting up the tape machine to give me accurate playback at 2x speed.

A lot of the tape was suffering from sticktion and needed to be treated in a convection oven before transfer. I was never comfortable with handling someone elses irreplaceable archives that needed this kind of work, but I figured with good definitions for methods and procedures we would be able to train operators to be vigilalent.

Well, like many a proposal that I’ve worked on, the company I was working for didn’t get the contract and has since gone away.

It was however a fun one to work on.

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
This one is just great. Freeware.

www.dbpoweramp.com

Use the Auxiliary Input. Really nice.

Site has lots of other good stuff too. But this is real easy. A friend has a lot of cassette tapes which needed to turn into CD's. I showed him this and it worked like a charm. :)

Oops, looks like the site is down, at least for now. Let me check something and get back to you.

Joined 2001
Okay, try this.
http://web.archive.org/web/20030420183807/www.dbpoweramp.com/

First, download the dbpoweramp. Then, you will see a link to download the aux input. They both come in self-extracting files.

When extracted, both install in a folder named Illustrate.

Not really complicated. If you have trouble, let me know. Or you can wait until tomorrow and try the original site, www.dbpoweramp.com.

Like I said, it works really well.

related question

I need info on something quite similar. I need to digitize some meeting tapes, the sound must be very CLEAR. Reading posts on this site gave me some an idea about which software + hardware to buy but I'd like to hear from you.
It seems I'd get the best results with a sound card with spdif in. Problem is, the tape deck on my desk does not have digital out, only headphone and line outs. Would line in give me sufficiently clean results? I'm thinking about buying Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS or M-Audio Revolution 7.1. Both don't have digital in.

Thanks.

Joined 2001
My experience with the db Power Amp setup is that wav files and the CD's made from them come out as clear as the original cassette tapes. I don't know if you want something as clear as the cassette tapes, or for the recording program to increase the clarity of the tapes as it records.

By the way, I do believe that dB Power Amp has a CD recording program, but I don't use it. You can use any CD recording program you prefer once the wav files are made.

The way I did the recording was to run from either Aux Out or Tape Out from the amp to the sound card of the computer. A dual RCA plug to Walkman plug, available at Radio Shack, does the hookup. Just keep the recording VU meter on the computer screen mostly in the green.

Radio Shack catalog # : 3 ft cord: 42-2475
For 6 ft cord: 42-2481

If extension is needed: 20 ft Walkman plug extension, #42-2462

To get a clear result you could make a recording of the tape via line in using Cool Edit Pro. Press record en wait a few seconds before you start the tape. Make the recording. Then you select using zoom all of the "empty" stuff including the tape noise and copy that to a new wave. You can use the new wave to perform a noise reduction scan. It gives you a profile you can save. Read the help section for settings. Then revert to the recording and go to effects/noise reduction. Load the profile, check the values and off you go. Just a little trimming of the (now) silent start and that's that. You could also after that normalize the wave. You don't really need a super duper card to convert a cassette, i'd say get a second hand sblive even if it does ****.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.