MOTU 828mk3 wont turn on

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Maybe some of you guys had the same problem once:
A friend of mine just gave me a MOTU 282mk3 interface, and asked me to check it.
After an electrical storm hit the area, it won't turn on. The storm also damaged the PSU on his computer (he already got it fixed) and some other stuff...
After I opened it, I first looked for a fuse. There was something like a fuse (at least it says "F1" on the PCB) in a small brown cap, but that isn't burnt.
Next, I meassured the output of the PSU (pins 1/2 to 15/16) as follows:
pins 1/2: 0V,
pins 3/4: -12.56V,
pins 5/6 +5.14V,
pins 7/8: +12.18V,
pins 9/10: 0V,
pins 11/12: 3.3V
pins 13/14: 4.6V
pins 15/16: 0V

I guess these voltages means that the PSU is working allright, but I'm not sure.
Nevertheless, the MOTUs front pannel remains in darkness. If nothing is connected to the interface, at least a few lights should turn on.

Any ideas? Maybe there is some other type of fuse on the main PCB?

Thanks in advance,

PhantomBox

The eight small knobs?

They look from here to be too small to be collet knobs, but in case, is the cap removable on each knob?
http://www.selcoproducts.com/pdfs/what_is_a_collet_knob.pdf

Otherwise I would expect them to pull straight off. Some can stick pretty tight. The key is to pull them out evenly, can't stick a pry tool under one side. Get under two sides and pry up evenly.

You can see if there are set screws, most nobody uses set screw knobs these days.

I tried to pull them off once more today. They actually did came off quite easy in spite of yesterday when they were stuck on the shafts. BTW, the shafts are half moon shaped.
Now, on the back-light LED was a nasty sticky yellowish paste. I doesn't seem to belong there, so I scrapped it off. After checking the two LED terminals with my DVM (digital volt meter), it showed no reaction in either direction = LED is dead...

The LED is kind of glued in there. Any suggestions on how I can get it out and replace it?

PhantomBox

I got the knobs off. Backlight LED seems to be ok. At least it reacts to my DVM.

In the end I came to the conclusion that if it's not the PSU (it starts with output voltages of +/- 10 point something Volts and slowly rises to 12 point something), chances are that the electric storm knocked out some of the ICs on the processing board...

I already changes 2x 2200uF/16V capacitors that looked suspicious. There is a CM0765R (6 pin switch/regulator) on the PSU. I will try to get a new one and change it to see if the MOTU finally wakes up again...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.