Sharp pain affect hearing?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello.

Just hit my left hand in the silliest way imaginable, and immediately thought "that's the dumbest way I've ever hurt myself, this is going to hurt."

And it did. It hurt so much I got extremely Dizzy, felt like being wasted on 2 whole bottles of Cognac or something. My ears felt like they where filled With Cotton, and I had problems standing up for just over a full minute. In fact, the pain subsided long before the dizziness disappeared.

Then, I go back to my office, and there are all sorts of loud sounds everywhere, "Never used to be so loud in here before" I thought. And soon discover that the air ducts and the lamps emit really loud noise! Just like I used to hear it years ago! I could hear everything again! I will estimate up to over 19khz (now about 16.5khz), and the sensitivity also increased a lot!
Ofcourse I can hear everything now as well, but there was so much more information availible, and I could hear things several meters away that I have to be within 30-50cm to hear now.

Modern buildings are so loud, I believe that the threshold of hearing is being severely limited due to the human body's ability to adapt. I am often annoyed by loud background noise, but I do not know many others who are.

Is there any way of "resetting" Your hearing to a previous state? I Believe that the body adjust the tension of the eardrums and also filter out common noise. Is there any way to reset everything? The only way I see this possible is by removing artificial air flow systems and change all ligthing and powersupplies that emit any kind of noise, to something better.

I don't know about the "pain vs hearing acuity" aspect of this conversation but the comment about average noise level and our ability to adjust is real. I usually go to bed around ten and if I get back up around two or so, I believe that I can hear better. I've done this several times and the volume I have to use to get satisfying playback from my system is much lower and I believe I hear more. Average noise level lower? Ears refreshed? Don't know but I like it. This is not true if I just stay up until then. Gotta reset?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Don't do any critical listening immediately after spending any amount of time in the car... I find just being in a quiet place for a while is sufficient for a reset, best listening early in the morning or late at night after a lot of quiet.

Long ago I owned a 5.0L Mustang LX, it was loud enough that I was relatively deaf when I got home from work every day and could tell as my hearing slowly recovered. I have bought progressively quieter cars over the years as a result.

Fanatic
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hahah

It faded away in a matter of minutes. "and I could hear things several meters away that I have to be within 30-50cm to hear now."

Terry: I do not understand, but when closing a door after me, behind my back, I must have misjudged the movement of the door and my hand, so I slammed the back of my hand on top of a sharp point on the door handle. My hand was aiming for a point around 7cm lower than the top of the handle.

But the point is: There is so much noise everywhere, and you get used to the noise, so the hearing is handicapped for critical listening.

Joined 2011
Hahah

It faded away in a matter of minutes. "and I could hear things several meters away that I have to be within 30-50cm to hear now."

Terry: I do not understand, but when closing a door after me, behind my back, I must have misjudged the movement of the door and my hand, so I slammed the back of my hand on top of a sharp point on the door handle. My hand was aiming for a point around 7cm lower than the top of the handle.

But the point is: There is so much noise everywhere, and you get used to the noise, so the hearing is handicapped for critical listening.

Yes, try listening late at night, no traffic noise, windows closed, AC off, computer off, etc. Keep the volume moderate. It's much better.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.