how to educate oneself to distortion?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I read some interestings information on distortion here, mostly by M. Pass and Dr. Geddes. The thing is I am not an audiophile and have no clue what a warm sound is (2nd harmonic) or a defined sound is(third harmonic). I found a software that can mix many tone, so now I have an idea of what it means with simple tones.
Can anyone point me to short extracts of real music material that are somehow altered to reflect a certain amount of distortion? It could be on CD or computer files. I found a software made by Harman titled how to listen, perhaps the part called coloured and uncoloured may help, but it is not enterely what i expect.
Can someone please start me in the right direction?:spin:
Regards!

Hi, there is definitely material out there, a website with samples of this was mentioned just recently on this forum, I seem to recollect. Unfortunately, I haven't got the links on hand, I would need to to use Search or Google to hunt this down - try looking around for it, if no success or someone else doesn't point it out, put your hand up again ... :)

Fanatic
Joined 2009
Paid Member
May not be perceived as good advice, but here goes:

You say you are not an audiophile, that probably means that you have an interest in, and enjoy, Music.

Unless you enjoy distortion, like the sound of it, I would avoid Learning about it at all. No matter the Source or recording, there is both noise and distortion everywhere. I enjoy distortion and find myself listening to background noise and harmonic resonance in recordings and my surroundings. But this interest cause me to not enjoy MUSIC as much as I used to. And my Choice for Music recordings narrow considerably every year. I have about 18-20000 flac files in my Collection, and also some lp's and too many lossy mp3's to count. I used to have 20000 files set to random in my playlist, and enjoyed every second of it 10 years ago. Now there is only about 500 or so songs that I can enjoy, and when I purchase new music it has to follow a specific set of criteria, not on type of Music, any genre is fine as long as it's not made for money, but how it's made, how it was recorded, how the musicians play/variation in tones/notes/improvisation, and such. I also get very quickly tired of Music that is "too well organized".

Don't go there unless you're sure you want to, enjoying Music as it is can also be very nice.

Last edited:
Got a PM from Nikitas, decided to also paste the correspondence here:
Hey there,

You wrote in a thread the following:
"I purchase new music it has to follow a specific set of criteria, not on type of Music, any genre is fine as long as it's not made for money, but how it's made, how it was recorded, how the musicians play/variation in tones/notes/improvisation, and such. I also get very quickly tired of Music that is "too well organized"."

I would be thankful if you could write to me a few bands/musicians that fulfill these criteria, as I am looking for the same thing. It is very difficult to find such artists and productions because these characteristics are not advertised.... Bands of an older era were like this, but not always by choice. there were no computers with software for audio manipulation like today.

Cheers,
Nikitas

Hello Nikitas.

It is indeed very difficult to find good modern recordings, if i must mention one very refreshing album it must be "The OneUps - Volume 2" Volume 2 | The OneUps

There are small glitches here and there, but it just makes it more personal, nothing annoying at all, and the music is well varied throughout the whole album. All the music on that album comes from video games, The Oneups play with a groovy vibe, and the album covers many styles, there is some compression but not much. Recommended for all music lovers, not just video game fans.

There is also another ca2004-2005, little known remix by Incognito, of a originally drum'n'bass tune from Shy FX called Feelings. Jazz like vibe. It's compressed a bit, and limiter is detectable on some spots (sounds like crackling on peaks), but you'd never guess this was the remixed version!
Feelings by Shy Fx/T Power on MP3 and WAV at Juno Download

If you like reggae there is a relatively new remix by Ed Solo, House of David Gang - Reggae Warrior (Ed Solo Reggae mix)
House Of David Gang MP3 & Music Downloads at Juno Download

Some years ago i used to purchase vinyl after a strict set of rules for about 100-150£/month, the people at the shop just picked out music for me and shipped it. This version is probably from some compilation, but I got this only much better and more dynamic on a 12" single:
Juice Monkey - Leaving you Chilled Mix MP3 downloads | www.MyFreeMp3.us)

Another interesting group is Tabla Beat Science, they have an album called Tala Matrix. It's from '99 but you've probably never heard about it before.
If you want to get this you'd have to find a CD from Amazon, unless you can accept using iTunes (I cannot, and refuse to link to the itunes shop).

That's about what I can think of that most people have never heard before.

Last edited:
Kaffimann, your post is highly appreciated! Thank you!

A cd I really REALLY like, is from infected mushrooms, album converting vegeterians, the second cd inside, called the other side MUSIC | Infected Mushroom
This is actually a trance band, I'm not really into this sort of thing, but the other side is something else. The twists and turns of the music are unbelievable.

Another I regard very highly is from Liam Howlett of prodigy, nothing like what we know of prodigy though. It is a "tribute" to old school funk and hip hop, essentially one continuous mix.

I am obviously not as much educated in music as most of you guys in this forum.
But twists and turns are my thing and what excite me while listening and the above two albums have plenty.

Cheers!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.