Documentation - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st June 2014, 12:19 PM   #1
tigox is offline tigox  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Default Documentation

Hey guys, so my dream is to go on and sell speakers that i'll build, can anyone provide some documentation on speaker system creating? i.e documentation on designing speakers, designing harmonics, any sort of information used to create a good sounding speaker system.
I hope i'm not asking a gigantically stupid request, but i guess i'll try anyway.
Thank you all in advance ^.^
Old 21st June 2014, 02:15 PM   #2
just another
diyAudio Moderator

Its a steep learning curve but you have to start somewhere. Books that I own are:

Designing, Building, and Testing Your Own Speaker System with Projects: David Weems: 9780070694293: Amazon.com: Books I bought this first and it is good for beginers.

Loudspeaker Design Cookbook 7th Edition Book I bought this second (I think I have the 6th edition) and is much more advanced.

Testing Loudspeakers Book Bought this next, which really helps with doing measurements.

I also have louspeaker recipies by vance dickason, which I used less than the others, but was good for getting a better understanding of crossover design choices.

There is a huge amount involved in designing a speaker from scratch. The above, + reading through various threads on this forum will give you a start. actually building and measuring speakers and finding out what works and what doesn't will help cement what you learn from reading.

As a first start though have a read through this thread. It will give you some insight as to what lies ahead, but make no mistake, if you want to make speakers for commercial sale you WILL need to do a lot more than in this primer Introduction to designing crossovers without measurement

Tony.
Old 22nd June 2014, 10:09 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thank you very much for the contribute
Hopefully i'll have time to read the loudspeaker cookbook
Old 23rd June 2014, 12:32 AM   #4
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hire an expert. Or, find the Chinese factory that builds for Energy and Monoprice and order a container of something decent with your logo on it.
Old 24th June 2014, 02:07 AM   #5
Ron E is offline Ron E  United States
diyAudio Member

My opinion, the market is saturated and it is hard to stand out. Most of the people who have "made it" selling really high end stuff (of any nature) have developed a mixture of perhaps three talents:
Engineering knowledge
Artistry
Marketing

You can (maybe) afford to hire one out if you are good enough at the other two.

just my 0.02....
Old 25th June 2014, 09:05 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I'm aware the market is saturated, but i just feel like the big companies are overlooking everything a consumer wants, there are so many things they could do while still maintaining the same price for their products, nowadays they either direct all their efforts to sound quality and leave a poorish design and features, or concentrate on all design no SQ, and then they're the ones who have neither XD
Old 25th June 2014, 10:35 PM   #7
Ron E is offline Ron E  United States
diyAudio Member

What I am saying is you can study all three of the realms above, or you can focus on the two that you are most suited to and hire out the third.

Even without doing much learning about the design process, one might want to think about what market you are trying to develop products for, who is the target market, who will distribute your product, etc.... Do you want to start in your garage, or do you want to design a product prototype and court investors?

True audiophiles are a tiny market, but real sound nuts will spend a lot on a product, so if you are aiming at that market, price is not a concern at all. In many cases a product will sell better with a higher price than a lower one. I've seen some pretty ugly stuff with huge price tags...
Old 26th June 2014, 09:20 AM   #8
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron E
In many cases a product will sell better with a higher price than a lower one.
Also, a poorly designed product (I mean poor internal engineering design, not poor cosmetic design) may sell better than a similar well-engineered product, provided it is accompanied by a good story. In modern audio, competence is no guarantee of success and incompetence does not guarantee failure.
Old 26th June 2014, 09:29 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hum, interesting true facts indeed, so if i achieve good (not great) internals, and i have a good, clean and modern design, maybe i have a chance?
The main problem i'm facing with my designs is a way to hide the tweeters, i can't seem to hide them in the front any way at all i think about it.
Anyways, are you saying i should bet more on design and marketing than on internals and innovations you can't really see or know they're there (while still maintaining a fairly good quality nevertheless) ?
Old 26th June 2014, 09:30 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Also, why do most portable speakers have DSP's and fancy stuff that doens't make that big of a difference?

Hide this!Advertise here!