basic questions for new guy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I picked up a solder station, but I don't know what types of tips that I should use or have available for use?

The station is a weller wes51. I will be starting with some point to point stuff for a gainclone or 12.

Then maybe some pcb board contacts for another amp.

Also what is a good type of wire to use for internal wiring of amps? Source for it as well?

Where can i find a decent power supply and what should I look for in a basic oscilloscope?

What other basic tools items should i look to get over the next few months?

TIA

I prefer the "single flat" tips, 0.062" size (ETAA) or the 031 conical.
brochure here:
http://www.cooperhandtools.com/literature/weller/550147.pdf

I find the smaller pointed tips require longer to get heat to the part being soldered.
You might use a rule of thumb of width of tip = width of lead you are soldering, of course, if you are trying to solder a large ground plane you will need a lot of heat.
Get a catalog from Digikey (www.digikey.com) or mouser (www.mouser.com), both are reputable and low priced.
I scrounged a lot of 14 AWG wire for my Zen from a blown UPS, generally, any insulated wire is OK to start with, you can get the exotic stuff later.
You could try Home Depot or Lowes for "hook up" wire, 16 or 18 AWG, and there is always Radio Shack when you just can't wait.
A great place for used test equiptment is e-bay, scopes run about $1.50 a MHz, or look for one of the add-ons for your PC, there was a 1 MHz module from OZ for about $88, AIR. (serach for "oscilloscope USB".

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.