Converting old laptop to car MP3 player

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I have old P120 laptop lying around useless so I was thinking it would be possible to convert it to a MP3 player to the car. First thing crosses my mind is the power it wants (19V) and I'll have to say that I don't know anything about powersupplies or anything else either. I've never really built anything myself and I'm not an diyer. I've been around in the diy-projector thread but it's not too high tech.

Anyway the computer would be in the back of the car, RS232 cable going to the front where would be separate controller box with msg LCD and few contolling buttons. I have non experience on this but I wouldn't guess it's too hard. Although I don't know how to mess the input in if you connect the LCD straight to R232. Separate number keyboard hooked up too? And then how to power on the computer without manually going to start it up:)

Is this something that I should just forget or can it be pulled off?

Chris

The Delta Lens from Surplushed has a focal length of 110mm; the Fujinon (L1812) has a focal length of 90 mm and will handle objects up to 4-1/2" diameter. In normal convex lens lingo, you need to place the object within 1 and 2 focal lengths to get a real and magnified image. Compound lenses like the Delta and Fujinon TV lenses allow you to place the object right at the surface of the lens and still get great magnification. Check Gunawan's post earlier on in this thread for the formula to help you calculate how much magnification you can expect for a given focal length and object( your LCD) position. Hope this helps.

Well, here's my idea...

For Power:
Usually you can get 12V car adaptors for nearly any model of Laptop. Then you'd just simply run a +12v line to the laptop, put a socket on it, and plug right in. To turn it on, well that could be more complicated... and would largely depend on what kind of power switch it has... but regardless i would expect that it would involve replacing the physical switch with a relay that would be controlled from the dash (or maybe even the remote (or power antenna) lead from the head unit in your dash... that's my idea anyways. I'd go into more depth, but im at work right now.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Bitch said:
I have old P120 laptop lying around useless so I was thinking it would be possible to convert it to a MP3 player to the car.

Is this something that I should just forget or can it be pulled off?

I don't know about Windoz-land, but we have many customers using their G4 PowerBooks & iBooks as MP3 source for their car hifis. Car power-adaptors are readily available and the headphone out goes to a line-in or one of those cassette adaptors (not nearly as good -- but they are just MP3s).

And with an AirPort card they get EtherNet (and InterNet) access when they get within a block of the office (or anyplace else with AirPort ie some of the local hotels)

dave

Okay,

Thanks for the info about focal length and stuff lokost:)

I haven't checked for the car adaptor. I know such devices exists but I would remember they are quite expensive and I don't know if one exists for my model. I'll have to check it out.

I'll check out the mp3car.com too, I just don't like too much reading other forums as I have accepted the diyaudio as my "home".

I'll anyway start with buying the LCD, it doesn't cost anything and it'll be fun. If the MP3 thing won't work I'll figure something else use for it.

Thanks for the input people.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.