Opamp to control FET resistance -stability issue - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th May 2014, 10:24 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Opamp to control FET resistance -stability issue

Its for an ambient light sensor to control a 0-2V analog dimming input on a display driver chip.
The board has a 4k7 pull-up resistor - this is shown as R2 in the circuit, and i need to pull this down to near zero volts at zero light.
This is one circuit i have tried, but like similar others it is unstable. I have built a few different versions, with both LDR's and various diodes, fast and slow amps, etc. I can stabilise it in spice, but the working version always seems to oscillate at various intermediate light levels.

Any help appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LightSensor31.jpg (89.0 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-05-06 22.42.51.jpg (365.0 KB, 86 views)
Old 6th May 2014, 10:51 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Have you ever tried plotting the open loop transfer function using SPICE ".AC analysis"? It can tell you the gain margin and phase margin (two measures of stability).

I think you may have a lot more success if you change topology, and use your low-VT BSS145 Nchannel MOSFET as a noninverting source follower, to pull up the 0V-2V output signal. Put the 4.7K to ground in parallel with the load, just to pull it down an extra amount, for safety. Now your feedback loop only includes a single gain stage (the opamp); the NMOS source follower has unity gain and contributes negligible phase shift. Select a low-GBW 5 volt rail-to-rail opamp like the Microchip MCP6002 and stability problems become a thing of the past.
Old 6th May 2014, 11:12 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks Mark, i had initially discounted the pull up idea, I had hoped not to have to modify the original circuit. Basically i could just pull the plug and walk away if anything went wrong.

Only began using Lt spice very recently, so need to do a bit more on that, but I had an inkling there are too many gain stages.

I am using some 27L2c out of the junkbox, will the MCP do a better job?
Old 7th May 2014, 12:26 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Whenever I work with "5 Volt" supplies, I imagine they are 5V 10%, and I expect that Murphy's Law means that my supply will output 4.5 volts. Maybe not when I'm measuring it, but sometime in the future when the equipment is being actively used, "in the field".

So I always choose a Rail-to-Rail Input AND Rail-to-Rail Output opamp for 5V applications -- when the supply is 4500 mV, there just aren't very many millivolts to throw away. The 27L2c is not Rail-to-Rail, either on the inputs or on the outputs. That's what the datasheet says (attached). Personally, I wouldn't use that opamp for a 5V project.

There are lots of 4.5V compatible, Rail-to-Rail Input AND Rail-to-Rail Output opamps. I generally choose Microchip because (1) they're inexpensive; (2) their datasheets are straightforward; and (3) they are in stock, on-the-shelf at the factory authorized distributors I like to buy from.

Attached Images
File Type: png datasheet_TS27L2C.png (76.5 KB, 66 views)
Old 7th May 2014, 01:35 PM   #5
Mooly is online now Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

You have got the sensor totally and fully shielded from the light it controls ?

C3 looks a bit unlikely tbh. I would have thought that an ambient detector would and should be slugged right down, perhaps by making C2 a 0.1 uf (or more). I would investigate the effect of C5 too.
Old 7th May 2014, 02:06 PM   #6
The Dastardly Dad of Three
diyAudio Member

Why so many parts ? Why not just feed the MOSFET gate off a junction between ldr and pot to the rails. Maybe add a small Elco across.
Old 7th May 2014, 05:23 PM   #7
cbdb is offline cbdb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Dosnt look like you need much bandwidth, so add largish (Miller) caps across the feedback resistors. Should stop the oscillation if it's in the opamps
Old 7th May 2014, 11:59 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

OK so the 27L2c is back in the bin, thanks Mark, its really rubbish at 5v, cant think why i thought it was rail to rail.

I stuck in C3 and C5 in the sim to try to damp it down a bit. Sort of works - any larger values the sim goes haywire, but in the flesh, large values work better. I left the feedback caps as low as possible to help indicate if there is instability.

Kasey, I'm usually up there with you in this, but i wanted to be able to control the gain and hi and lo range of the output. I need the full range of the 0-2v
Old 8th May 2014, 12:06 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Mark i thought of what you suggested initially, this one sims much more stable, but still, I'm not ready to trust it yet.

It appears its not unity gain stable. Increasing the value of R12 increases gain, but not stability. Likewise with C2. ???

Last edited by whizgeek; 8th May 2014 at 12:09 AM.
Old 8th May 2014, 12:09 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

sorry, image included
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LightSensor41.jpg (28.4 KB, 42 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!