Anyone experencing CDs with missing tracks?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A few years ago I got a CD where some tracks at the end were
simply not there. None of my CDPs and none of my computer
drives could find all the tracks on it (TOC problem?). This was
a CD from Music&Arts so I assumed there was simply something
wrong with my disc although there is no visible damage on it.

Now I just got another disc from M&A with a similar problem.
At first I thought it was the same type of problem since all
CDPs reported only four tracks, but when listening to it I found
that it all music was there, but contrary to the booklet info and
to what's reasonable, the disc had one track per sonata, not
one per movement.

I have never ever, as far as I can remember, experienced any
such problems with any CDs from other companies, not even
the lousiest italian pirate companies (and ironically, M&A is a
company that protests loudly on their internet site against
pirate companies).

I will write to M&A and complain. One disk may be an occasional
error, but two... However, what I wonder is, has anybody else
ever experienced such problems with any CDs whatsoever, or more particularly with M&A CDs? I suppose there might be some
rip-off pirate companies that won't even bother to try getting it
right, so read my question as referring to supposedly reliable
and serious companies.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi Christer
I recall having the opposite.
The CD has 12 tracks or so and when I wait long enough after the last song, a minute later another extra song starts playing.
It's not printed on the label and isn’t supposed to be there when you look in catalogues.
I didn't write to the company :D

/Hugo :)

Netlist said:
Hi Christer
I recall having the opposite.
The CD has 12 tracks or so and when I wait long enough after the last song, a minute later another extra song starts playing.
It's not printed on the label and isn’t supposed to be there when you look in catalogues.
I didn't write to the company :D

/Hugo :)

Its the Nirvana syndrome.....a common desease these days. It was original (but still a pain) when Nirvana did it first time in the nineties, now its just a pain.

Magura

Hello Christer,

What you experience is a playability problem. Although it seems very straight forward who/what to blame it might be more difficult to pinpoint what goes wrong.

I assume that the disc has no scratches etc.

-does the disc behave the same on another player?
-every disc with more than 72 minutes (and a few seconds) is out of spec (CD-standard)
-two times the same problem on a disc of the same company? Suspicious! It can be a TOC problem indeed. Or wrong subcode info. But then the question arises if the subcode or TOC info is not correct does your player reacts correct? Or does another player ignores this wrong info although it should react on it?

There is a company in Sweden

Audio Development
Jagersovagen 217
213 77 Malmo
040-228440

I do not know if they still exist. They made this "CATS" CD quality system that can check the subcode/TOC. They may be interested to help you as discs with these errors are very uncommon.

Success!

Ward

Hi EDUM,

as I said previously, I have tried both discs in three different
CDPs and two different computer drives, one reader and one
burner. They all report consistent information. I also have
never ever had any problems to play overlong discs on any
of my CDPs, not even the oldest one from 86.

For the first of the discs, where tracks at the end are simply
not there, yes there could be something wrong with the
individual disc I got, although I cannot see any scratches or
other damages on it.

For the other disc, it seems clear that somebody has screwed
things up when making the disc. It seems not to be a TOC
problem either. The disc contains four violin sonatas and
according to the booklet there should be one track for each
movement, as is the usual and obvious way to do it. However,
it turns out each sonata is "squeezed" into one track on the disc,
so this clearly seems to be a human error. At least all music
is there, so if I wish I could rip the disc, reedit it and burn a
new one with the correct tracks, but I shouldn't really have
to do that with a brand new disc.

Anyway, I am not so concerned that I will try out any special
means to figure out what is wrong. I will simply write the
company and complain about this. Once might be forgiven,
twice is too much, considering that I have never ever had
such problems with any other label. This is also why I am
curious if others have experienced similar problem with the
same or other labels.

Hi Christer,

It sounds indeed like an editting problem of the mastertape. It happens sometimes. It seems that M&A did make an error. It can be a wrong setting in the disc editting program (human error) or a glitch in the program. ( I had a student developping a program to read subcode from a CD (a very long time ago :) ) and we have seen some weird subcodes!)
But as I said this kind of errors do happen but are rare.

Success!

Ward

New to the Nirvana syndrome is a british dance act Hybrid - Instead of the hidden track at the end of the cd its at the begining! The cd actually starts at track 2 (the display on the cd player reads as track 1 tho) The only way to access the track is to start the cd playing and then hit << shuffling backwards until your at -6.30 An iteresting take on the hidden trak thing but damn irritating when you << to -6.31 and the cd resets itself to the opening track!

Ive tried ripping the whole cd onto my computer and then using a wav editor to access the hidden track so i can re burn it as the start track, but no luck so far.

And just so you know im a huge Hybrid fan and the album in question Morning Hi Fi is beautifull. Epic orchestral house and breaks.

Amphersands said:
New to the Nirvana syndrome is a british dance act Hybrid - Instead of the hidden track at the end of the cd its at the begining! The cd actually starts at track 2 (the display on the cd player reads as track 1 tho) The only way to access the track is to start the cd playing and then hit << shuffling backwards until your at -6.30 An iteresting take on the hidden trak thing but damn irritating when you << to -6.31 and the cd resets itself to the opening track!

Ive tried ripping the whole cd onto my computer and then using a wav editor to access the hidden track so i can re burn it as the start track, but no luck so far.

Some ripping software allows you to specify a range of sectors instead of track numbers. That should solve your problem...

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.