Antique Radio -> Jukebox? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th March 2014, 08:02 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Lukifer122
Default Antique Radio -> Jukebox?

Good afternoon to all!

I wasn't really sure where to put this thread, so mods, please feel free to move as appropriate.

I have come across an old tombstone style antique radio cabinet. Best guesses put it late 30's-early 40's. It has been completely gutted (which is why I got it for free); it's a wood box with a speaker grill cloth on the inside, and few half ruined decals on the inside.

The idea I've had was to refinish the wood on the outside, and add some modern guts. I'd really like this thing to turn some heads, and I've got a Bluetooth module and an Apple airport express that I could use as an input source.

Wants:
- a few inputs with the ability to switch between them without unplugging.
- a rotary volume control, something with a solid feel to it.
- the ability to adjust tone; bass volume knob? I hope this makes sense..

I'd like to maximize the output from this unit to fill a medium sized room, and provide really good bass performance. I don't need it to play super deep, but I would like it to sound... rich.

I'm very new to building something like this, and my last project was a set of Zigmahornets, which I still have and love.

I'd love to hear suggestions on drivers, amplifiers, etc. My budget on this is maybe $200ish, but lower is better for cost.

Should I consider a full range single driver, or go with something multiway? What about a 2.1 type system with a separate woofer?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo1.JPG (94.7 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg photo2.JPG (139.6 KB, 55 views)
Old 13th March 2014, 04:13 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

71 views and no comments? Surely someone must have some suggestions for me!
Old 17th March 2014, 08:52 AM   #3
M Gregg is offline M Gregg  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukifer122 View Post
71 views and no comments? Surely someone must have some suggestions for me!
Stand back and look at the pictures..

Now look at what you are saying
Are you talking a tube amp or SS or chip..to get what you want with a "Rich" sound containing perhaps a fair bit of 2nd harmonic..

Then you want tone controls and selector...how much room do you have for each part..could the unit be modular inside..ie

Selector in a box inside the unit...amp in another or different chassis.. how do you intend to mount the speaker/s with maybe an extension socket
..old world or new world with old style..

There are to many variables for people to comment...whats the front to back space inside the unit?

I would build separate boxes inside like in a guitar amp..and connect togeather..so you take any part out and mod or repair etc
This means you can design and build the selector and fit it..then build the speakers in..then look at the amp etc..

Size will be the limiting factor..perhaps a pre tube section with a chip amp for the power and heat reduction..
I would build the selector with relays in a box and put the controls on the front but you don't give any guide as to what layout you are thinking about.
Then you can have a selector switch on the front and not have to have long wires for the signal.

Perhaps a wooden box section inside behind the grill with the speakers mounted inside to enclose the vibration and keep them separate from the amp..
Look at some old world consoles they had everything in one box.. what size speakers can you get in the enclosure and how much space does that leave for the rest..etc

Get your pencil out and start drawing..use full scale and get a feel for layout..post your ideas and then you will get some ideas..I guess..
Even a pic with speakers placed inside the cab would be better than nothing.

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited by M Gregg; 17th March 2014 at 09:09 AM.
Old 17th March 2014, 09:35 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

The other way is to build it like a guitar amp.

Put the amp and selector on the bottom in a chassis.

Mount the speakers in the top and put the tone etc in existing holes.
Perhaps on a plate so it all comes out together for repair etc.
How loud is a guitar amp?..you want an audio version..+ selector.

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited by M Gregg; 17th March 2014 at 09:42 AM.
Old 17th March 2014, 02:48 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thank you M Gregg!

I realize how open ended I left the subjet; I was really hoping that people would say something like, "Well I would do THIS.."

I think budget limitations will prevent me from going with a tube amp, so it would be a chip amp for sure. Would it make sense to build a stereo configuration inside a cabinet like this? I want the drivers to be mounted in the factory location, so it's not like I'm going to get a wide soundstage from it. Perhaps a simple mono amp would be sufficient?

I've always been disappointed with the sound from typical Bluetooth speakers, so I wanted something with more punch. I guess i'm trying to figure out a ratio of "as much bass as possible in a small package" while keeping the sound quality up and the price/complexity down.

Also, I have no experience with an open baffle type speaker, which (if I understand correctly) this essentially would be. Can I do a 2/3 way speaker configuration that will provide good bass response? I suppose my benchmark would be something like one of the larger ipod dock products; if I can meet or exceed those for bass while still being under that price point, I'd be very happy.

The amp and selector would absolutely go into the bottom of the chassis, as that's where the existing holes are in the front of the cabinet.
Old 17th March 2014, 02:54 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Also, I'll grab some more pictures when I get home, and include some measurements also.

Thanks again for the explanation of what else to include, I'll be sure to get that together asap.
Old 17th March 2014, 09:31 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I would build a stereo amp section with a mono/stereo switch.

Also a tone bypass switch.

The old consoles like radiograms had stereo in one cabinet.
The reason was clarity.
When you think about it, the speaker type will give you an idea of power required. The more sensitive the speakers the less power you need.

I would defiantly post a question in the full range speaker section they are experts in this field. If you give some ideas on price and size and see what they think. It doesn't have to be open it could be ported. With box sections inside the chassis.

Unless you already have parts you intend to use..do lots of research in each section of this forum and then make decisions.

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited by M Gregg; 17th March 2014 at 09:35 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!