Yet another NYT article about Stienway Pianos

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Attachments

• piano.jpg
    piano.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 131
I used to build custom grand pianos for a company called Falcone, now part of Steinway I think. At the time they had been in business 9 years and had just made thier 100th piano. Production took one year from start to finish. Thats where I learned to sharpen brand new razor blades and that sandpaper was the work of the devil.
Ahh...good times.

Disabled Account
Joined 2003
Steinways are overrepresented in North America, and cheaper alternatives such as Bosendorfer, Bechstein and others offer a sound that is different but equal in quality; yet Steinway has almost a monopoly in grand pianos here, mainly due to their business practices; for example see the insightful post here, Reply #5 by Maestro.

Thanks for the links, the politics surrounding these things arefascinating.

Tom1356, I had always figured that being Tom from Boston and a DIY guy that you were the same Tom who invented the Rockman. Why were the razor blades sharpened? Was it for cutting the felt on the hammers?

As a non-player I think that the only piano I ever might actually own would be a Yamaha Disclavier. It'll take some significantly different left resources if its ever going to happen.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.