Orphans, widows, oddballs and audio bits and pieces

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Surveying the accumulated electronics debris field of my shop and home:eek: I have been pondering how to dispose of some items and projects that I will never find a purpose for or realistically ever get to.

These include old brochures, technical manuals, service manual and sales literature, single x/overs, drivers, PTs, OTs, tubes and more.

So the thought came to mind that perhaps a thread devoted to putting up bits and pieces, orphans, widows and one-offs that may help others here finish their own projects, match up with their own incomplete pairs, spark new creative projects or complete their collections would be of benefit to the broader diyAudio community.

The key here is that the items are offered by members to other members for free. Members who post items made freely available to others would also be allowed to post particular items they are looking for provided they have posted an item available to other members.

Actual shipping costs, of course, would be the only cost in such transactions.

Quite frankly I think such a thread should be kept away from the commercial buy, sell, trade forum...just where it might be most appropriately posted and to the greatest benefit of the general membership (This forum perhaps?) I'm not quite sure of.

Would like to get some input from other members, mods, editors and administrators if there would be any interest in this.

It would contribute in terms of recycling items and assisting some of those here who have never been able to find the missing bits and pieces to unfinished audio projects.

Very good name for it Kevin. With your permission we now have a name for this proposed thread: "Freecycle."

I think it would take off in short order...what are the thoughts on the suitability of keeping this in the "Everything Else" forum?

I am also a little leery of the potential for pickers, flippers, hawkers and raptors to suddenly materialize on diyAudio just to pick off Freecycle items, so I was thinking that in order to participate one must be a contributing member ie: a minimum amount of posts or time as a member in order to make things a little difficult for the opportunistic johnny-come-lately types looking to subvert the true intention of this idea.

What thinks everyone?

Last edited:
I'd totally be up for that. I got tons of digital ICs, SMT and through-hole, oddball old pieces like mica caps, military JAN surplus parts, etc that take up lots of space.

Where could we start such a thread, who can decide on this? Moderator, heyello?

Sorry I chimed in a bit late on this, I had read the Original post yesterday and did not refresh my screen. Gives you an idea of how much I like old stuff.

Last edited:
Great idea! Can we have one Freecycle for each continent?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would want to keep this an open freecycle, not restricted to particular geographic locales....if someone is willing to pay the shipping across the various ponds they should have the same opportunity on a first come first serve basis ...if not then someone else or someone local will inevitably step up.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.