Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th February 2014, 08:32 PM   #1
JoeDJ is offline JoeDJ  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Best way to clean a female RCA jack?

Recently, the left channel on my my beloved NAD "C-350" amp intermittently started to get real low and distorted.

I should say that I have all my sources are fed into a source switch and that is connected to the CD input on the NAD as that input is where it defaults at every power up.

Long story short.........
I traced it to a bad RCA connection at the NAD's CD input .
Plunging it and unplugging it a few times cured it...... at least for now
I assume the jack had a bad connection due to its age, and possible lack of use before I got the amp.

My question is, what is the best way to clean the internal contact on a female RCA Jack?
Old 9th February 2014, 02:57 AM   #2
fas42 is online now fas42  Australia
diyAudio Member

Just a cotton bud and methylated spirits, or isopropyl alcohol and vigorous rubbing should get a sizeable chunk of gunk off. Repeat process with clean buds until no more gunk comes off.

If bud is too big, unravel some of the cotton, and wind that around the end of a toothpick, tightly. If the cotton comes off the end just dig it out with the toothpick.
Old 9th February 2014, 10:31 AM   #3
Mooly is online now Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

I would also suspect dries on the sockets... very common on all equipment and worth resoldering as a matter of course.
Old 9th February 2014, 10:36 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi.

Sometimes, really rare in fact, metal tube at the and of female RCA socket could break.
I've seen it few times via servicing old amps. Then only way is to change a sockets.
Of course Yoy should check connection beetween socket and main board, because of pushing cable into socket, from time to time solder breaking on PCB.
Old 9th February 2014, 11:30 AM   #5
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Dry joints on the PCB .... Lead free soldering ? Then check for sure. You need a magnifying glass. Often you see very thin cracks in the solder joints. Remove old solder with solder wick, resolder the joints. Ready.
Old 9th February 2014, 11:56 AM   #6
infinia is offline infinia  United States
diyAudio Member

^thermal cycling produces solder cracks around pins at the PCB, I've seen this many times
esp on components fixed to chassis or heat sinks then to PCB.
mass produced integrated amps and plate amps with poor air flow are most susceptible.
reflow solder on all pins for whole connecter strip after tightening all mounting screws. This is a problem because completed PCB assy is screwed down after wave soldering connector putting stress on the pins.

Last edited by infinia; 9th February 2014 at 12:04 PM.
Old 9th February 2014, 04:19 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

In my case it seems to have been just a "cleaning" issue and all is fine now but, I still want to clean the RCA jacks it further .
Thanks for the input.

BTW, one of the first things I did when first getting the amp was to remove the cover and inspect everything thoroughly and it all looks great.,
However I could nor see not the solder on the bottom of the CB of course..

Last edited by JoeDJ; 9th February 2014 at 04:35 PM.
Old 9th February 2014, 04:23 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

If it really needs a good clean then I use a cocktail stick wrapped with extremely fine P1800 wet and dry paper. But unless it is vintage I just replace the socket with a decent gold plated new one.
Old 9th February 2014, 04:45 PM   #9
Mooly is online now Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Bit of kitchen paper soaked in iso and shoved up 'thole does the job I find

Wet and dry there goes any plating.
Old 9th February 2014, 05:54 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieandDad View Post
If it really needs a good clean then I use a cocktail stick wrapped with extremely fine P1800 wet and dry paper. But unless it is vintage I just replace the socket with a decent gold plated new
one.
Actually, unless the male jack is also gold the different metals in contact with each other can possibly cause some corrosion . Just one gold contact does nothing good. .
This fact is often over looked.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanic_corrosion.

I like your idea on how to clean it though as iso sometimes can't remove everything ..

Last edited by JoeDJ; 9th February 2014 at 06:13 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!