Ultra caps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
would anyone be interested in an add-on type kit for their power supply which provides an ultra cap bank system ?

i.e. easy attachment to your current power supply which allows for integration of an ultra cap bank...
would be best for high power amps...basically you could loose a ton of caps on your primary xfrmer...

thoughts?

Mass producing companies tend to make smoothing the minimum needed to work OK.
High end stuff can be a bit different.

Adding lots of capacitance affects other parts of the circuit like needing a soft start.

I designed a class d amplifier using the irs2092 and it worked great.
I increased the capacitance to 20,000 per rail and the amplifier started giving huge cracks and squeals on power down. It turned out the 2092 doesn't like this.
So I could either go back to 10,000uf per rail or add a simple PIC circuit to monitor VCC and hold the 2092 in reset if VCC is out of spec.

yes....precharge

I hear you....
capacitance that large (i.e ultra caps are in the multi farads.)
require a pre-charge to minimize inrush..
and you need to keep the buss up during precharge ..then at some point kick out the precharge circuitry and tie the cap bank into the main buss

this would be addressed.
not a big deal actually....

thanks for your thoughts...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.