MOOCs - (Free) Courses in Engineering, Science, Physics etc - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th December 2013, 10:46 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default MOOCs - (Free) Courses in Engineering, Science, Physics etc

I've recently become familiar with Moocs. Short term University level (free) online courses! As they are university level they are great if you're after a refresher experience, or if you're simply born intelligent from day one.

There are courses listed for a whole manner of subjects, not least Circuits & Electronics etc (scroll down):

https://www.edx.org/course-list/alls...nce/allcourses

Anyway, thought I'd post.
Best
Nathan
Old 6th December 2013, 10:48 PM   #2
JZatopa is offline JZatopa  United States
diyAudio Member

I've been looking into these myself. I would be more inclined to take a few if there were formal degrees/certificates that were universally recognize that I could earn.
Old 6th December 2013, 10:52 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

There seems to be recognition, if not free then I'll bet there's a fee for that, even so..

"Pursue a Verified Certificate of Achievement

Plan to use your completed coursework for job applications, promotions or school applications? Then you may prefer to work towards a verified Certificate of Achievement to document your accomplishment."

It at least shows employers a level of enthusiasm greater than the next guy too.

And surely no learning is wasteful, recognition or not?

I understand Im just trying to be positive. For some people on here these courses will be just what they're looking for.
Old 6th December 2013, 10:54 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I know there is a masters in computer science available as well as some certificates but I am not sure of their value just yet.

I love learning but when I have to dedicate a large amount of money and time I want to make sure it pays off. At this point in my life I am looking for skills that will help me get better jobs or push my personal professional goals forward.
Old 6th December 2013, 10:59 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Free learning at university level is amazing, regardless.

I think there'll be plenty of people, not in your shoes, that might benefit. All the best with your journey.
Old 6th December 2013, 11:09 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I hope I'm not coming off as negative on MOOCs. I think that they have great potential and will change education. Just not for me right now

One I was looking at was Georgia Tech's Computer science degree any masters for $7k USD (found total price on another site) is pretty impressive

Last edited by JZatopa; 6th December 2013 at 11:13 PM.
Old 6th December 2013, 11:11 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I think they will too, it seems there are elite highly regarded universities behind them also which is even better.

Another list here everybody, scroll down for categories:

MOOC List | A complete list of Massive Open Online Courses (free online courses) offered by the best universities and entities.

This one here for the basics of physics:

http://www.mooc-list.com/course/basi...ics-open2study

4 Weeks, 2 to 4 hours per week.

Last edited by nathanjh13; 6th December 2013 at 11:18 PM.
Old 25th August 2014, 09:57 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Update August 2014:

https://www.edx.org/course-list

https://www.udacity.com/courses#!/all

https://www.openlearning.com/courses/
Old 25th August 2014, 11:09 PM   #9
Ron E is offline Ron E  United States
diyAudio Member

I took an iversity matlab course. They gave a lot of useful matlab tips, which is what I was after. The homework was a bit too much of a time investment for me, though. I would need to brush up on diff eq's a bit before tackling it, although on the first few homeworks I was able to guess the correct derivations on the first try from the multiple guess answers. One thing I hated was that they gave multiple guess answers where you had to pick 5 from 8 answers - harder than it sounds.

Hide this!Advertise here!