Google mistery

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2003
Paid Member
ICS: Internet connection sharing. Meaning the PC connected to the internet is configured so that other PC's connected to it via a LAN can have access to internet too. I presume this is the kind of setup you have. If not let us know how the second PC normally connects.
BTW, what makes you think a MS-patch is the cause of the problem?

As Dhaen says, clear your cache first.

/Hugo :)

I have 2 PCs, a router and a hub. Each PC is connected to the hub, and the router also, so the connection is direct and not through another PC

Clearing cache didn't solve the problem.

I remember that some time ago was diffused a warning about Google, and being this one the PC that I normally use (and so the most "updated" through Windows Update) I thought that one of these updates might have inhibited Google for questionable (and hidden!) "security reasons".

Cheers

Andrea

This is all I get... no matter if the extension changes...

Attachments

• google.jpg
    google.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 166
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Does this work: www2.google.com ?

Else:
1) Check for viruses; what scanner do you have? Is it nicely updated?
2) Check for spyware : www.lavasoft.de
3) Reset your Privacy settings in IE. Extra->Internet options->Privacy-> click Standard
4) Reset your advanced settings. Extra->Internet options->Advanced-> click Reset.
Do you use ad-blocking software? Which one?
Firewall?

/Hugo - too many questions, too many answers ;)

Netlist said:
Does this work: www2.google.com ?

Yes it works!!:D

Else:
1) Check for viruses; what scanner do you have? Is it nicely updated?

Norton antivirus corporate, updated

2) Check for spyware : www.lavasoft.de

Nothing to worry about

3) Reset your Privacy settings in IE. Extra->Internet options->Privacy-> click Standard

Already standard

4) Reset your advanced settings. Extra->Internet options->Advanced-> click Reset.

Done

Do you use ad-blocking software? Which one?
Firewall?

None

/Hugo - too many questions, too many answers ;) [/B][/QUOTE]

At least with www2 works... still wonder why the www doesn't work..

Cheers

Andrea

You may have the QHosts trojan, which monkeys with your DNS settings to redirect Google, among other locations. Removal instructions are here.

http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/default.asp?id=description&virus_k=100719

If you want a quick check, try typing "tracert www.google.com" into a command prompt window. If it comes back as anything other than 216.239.41.99, you should be suspicious. You can also check for a file called "hosts" (no extension) in the Help subdirectory of your Windows folder -- if you find it, that's a good indicator too.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.