Need advice on Multi-Room Project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My wife is planning to open a massage studio with 7 massage rooms, with 4 additional areas that we want to have speakers, as well. So 11 areas total. We want each area to have its own volume control. Because it is a massage studio, we don't need high volume, but quality audio would be preferred.

I am not an audio technician, but I was a telephone cable splicer for 33 years, so I can manage pretty well with the wiring. But when it comes to the components of a system like this, I am way out of my comfort zone.

What kind of components will I need to distribute the music to all 11 spaces? Does the system need to be stereo, or can we achieve clear and clean sound with a mono system? Remember that cost is an issue.

Thanks, in advance, for all of your advice.

There are two ways of doing a system like this:
1] As a 70Volt Constant Voltage System. see:

RaneNote
"Constant-Voltage Audio Distribution Systems"
Dennis Bohn, Rane Corporation
RaneNote 136

25, 70.7 & 100 Volts
U.S. Standards
Just What is "Constant" Anyway?
Voltage Variations -- Make Up Your Mind
Calculating Losses -- Chasing Your Tail

Constant-Voltage Audio Distribution Systems: 25, 70.7 & 100 Volts
Also see the Part Express catalog - Pro Audio - 70V Commercial section starting at about page 270
Parts Express: the #1 source for audio, video & speaker building components

2] Using a processor controlled Home A/V Distribution system.

See this forum for more possibilities:

Home A/V Distribution

With cost being an issue the constant voltage commercial systems may well cost too much.
I would go for a modest modern domestic HIFI.
On the speaker outputs add a 100 ohm resistor and use screened cable to get past all those noisy lighting fixtures in the suspended ceiling. In each socket fit a 1 k ohm resistor and a potential divider to feed a modest pair of computer speakers. Also run a common 12 volt feed for the amplified speakers from the location of the HIFI set. A CB power supply will do this job.
The common earth will get rid of hum loops and the high signal along the cable runs will drown out any noise.
The potential dividers will loose the rest of the noise and provide enough loading to keep the chip amp happy as these have a pretty low load on the power stages when in headphone mode.
Distortion is a lot lower on chip amps with raised output impedance. Valve amps are a different matter all together and would not be suitable.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.