Moon Audio..... Defying Logic for HiFi!! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th November 2013, 01:53 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Moon Audio..... Defying Logic for HiFi!!

So, I'm sure many of you have stumbled onto HigherFi.com and scoffed at the ridiculous prices of the equipment. Not ridiculous as in over the msrp, but ridiculous in that someone out there needs to spend north of 1,000,000 dollars on a speaker. If you have never had the privilege of visiting this sight, go ahead. I can wait.

Good?
Okay.

So, HigherFi.com, from my research, is a broker company where they essentially act as a 'classifieds' page, selling demo units as well as new units through factory authorized distributors. So instead of having to track down a dealer for Genesis speakers, you order through HigherFi.com and they take care of the rest.

They are, however, an authorized distributor of Moon Audio products. Not the headphone company. This company. Moon Audio is owned by Chris Moon, the same man who founded HigherFi.com. Now, The speakers are expensive. But that's not the real problem. The real problem is with the Opulence..

For anyone who doesn't want to click the link or skimmed it and missed the point, here it is:

The Opulence incorporates Dark Star, an optional second way of experiencing music which is independent of the drivers in the speaker itself and delivers music into the listeners brain, bypassing the ears. All other traditional speakers have produced sound which arrives at the brain through the ears. Dark Star is perceived as delivering music INSIDE the listeners brain and can be fully experienced with the ears completely plugged. This is the only speaker in the world with such technology.

Ummmmm....... okaaaay then. Gotta get me some Dark Star.
Old 16th November 2013, 02:04 AM   #2
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

This should probably be over the Snake Oil thread.
(Of course they are having you on, you know)
Old 16th November 2013, 02:10 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

But that's the problem- you get the sense that this guy and his company has too much to loose with a damaged reputation. So he either thinks anyone with that money must be too dumb to care, or he doesn't care if anyone is upset because there are only 3 Opulence pairs made, two of them sold.
Old 16th November 2013, 02:31 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Location: Mar del Plata, a BIG seasonal getaway city, can see the Ocean from our residence.
It really doesn't matter about "damaged reputations" For a loudspeaker that sells for over a million dollars, and costs a couple thousand at most......all they have to do is sell *ONE* to make a nice big chunk of change. After building, say three sets, "Limited Edition", sell one, take the money & run. After a year or so "design" another model, a "new" company.....Limited Edition run, of course, sell one, etc.etc. Over & over.
Oh, BTW, "some of the proceeds" of the sale from one of their loudspeakers is dedicated to the search for "lost" WW2 pilots...??????????? I'd guess a lot of WW2 pilots are long since dead.

__________________________________________________ ___Rick........

Last edited by Richard Ellis; 16th November 2013 at 02:37 AM.
Old 16th November 2013, 02:39 AM   #5
sippy is offline sippy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

- people spend that kinda money after looking at a RENDER.
What Rick says is true.
Old 16th November 2013, 02:41 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Maybe I could sell my EmKens for 5mil, theres only 3 pairs so far and mine are totally unique........ gotta be a rich fool some where!
Old 16th November 2013, 02:48 AM   #7
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Come on guys, read it again.
Old 16th November 2013, 03:21 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Yes Pano, thx! I remember there was a thread about those opulence speakers
one month ago ( "snake oil", maybe)
and reading the description, it is definitively an hoax.
But it fits ! I would like to do it too ! Do you like many woofers ? I'll give you many woofers. Are you fascinated by B&W, Kef, Totem shapes and materials?
I put in those, too. Babies&dogs around? Grills, but very sound transparent...

Babies with screwdrivers? No way
Old 16th November 2013, 03:27 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
Come on guys, read it again.
I'm not that bored, I've heard enough BS in the last two hours which kinda makes me not want to Read More BS.
Each to their own though, best of luck to the guy etc etc.
Old 16th November 2013, 03:34 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Location: Mar del Plata, a BIG seasonal getaway city, can see the Ocean from our residence.
According to the "Moon" site "he" (Mr Moon) "discovered" the artist Prince..........Prince had already been playing in a band several years prior, he was going thru producers trying to get a break. As it happened this Moon guy "passed on" Prince to another guy. So much for "discovering" the Artist. Mr Moon also credits himself with authoring Princes' first "hit", trouble is Prince met Moon in 1976 and shortly left his company, well before Prince broke out in the Eighties. I guess Moon is used to stretching the truth.....as written in his literature.

__________________________________________________ _Rick...........

Hide this!Advertise here!