Moon Audio..... Defying Logic for HiFi!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So, I'm sure many of you have stumbled onto HigherFi.com and scoffed at the ridiculous prices of the equipment. Not ridiculous as in over the msrp, but ridiculous in that someone out there needs to spend north of 1,000,000 dollars on a speaker. If you have never had the privilege of visiting this sight, go ahead. I can wait.

Good?
Okay.

So, HigherFi.com, from my research, is a broker company where they essentially act as a 'classifieds' page, selling demo units as well as new units through factory authorized distributors. So instead of having to track down a dealer for Genesis speakers, you order through HigherFi.com and they take care of the rest.

They are, however, an authorized distributor of Moon Audio products. Not the headphone company. This company. Moon Audio is owned by Chris Moon, the same man who founded HigherFi.com. Now, The speakers are expensive. But that's not the real problem. The real problem is with the Opulence..

For anyone who doesn't want to click the link or skimmed it and missed the point, here it is:

The Opulence incorporates Dark Star, an optional second way of experiencing music which is independent of the drivers in the speaker itself and delivers music into the listeners brain, bypassing the ears. All other traditional speakers have produced sound which arrives at the brain through the ears. Dark Star is perceived as delivering music INSIDE the listeners brain and can be fully experienced with the ears completely plugged. This is the only speaker in the world with such technology.

Ummmmm....... okaaaay then. Gotta get me some Dark Star.

But that's the problem- you get the sense that this guy and his company has too much to loose with a damaged reputation. So he either thinks anyone with that money must be too dumb to care, or he doesn't care if anyone is upset because there are only 3 Opulence pairs made, two of them sold.

It really doesn't matter about "damaged reputations" For a loudspeaker that sells for over a million dollars, and costs a couple thousand at most......all they have to do is sell *ONE* to make a nice big chunk of change. After building, say three sets, "Limited Edition", sell one, take the money & run. After a year or so "design" another model, a "new" company.....Limited Edition run, of course, sell one, etc.etc. Over & over.
Oh, BTW, "some of the proceeds" of the sale from one of their loudspeakers is dedicated to the search for "lost" WW2 pilots...??????????? I'd guess a lot of WW2 pilots are long since dead.

_____________________________________________________Rick........

Last edited:
Yes Pano, thx! I remember there was a thread about those opulence speakers
one month ago ( "snake oil", maybe)
and reading the description, it is definitively an hoax.
But it fits ! I would like to do it too ! Do you like many woofers ? I'll give you many woofers. Are you fascinated by B&W, Kef, Totem shapes and materials?
I put in those, too. Babies&dogs around? Grills, but very sound transparent...

Babies with screwdrivers? No way :p:snoopy:

According to the "Moon" site "he" (Mr Moon) "discovered" the artist Prince..........Prince had already been playing in a band several years prior, he was going thru producers trying to get a break. As it happened this Moon guy "passed on" Prince to another guy. So much for "discovering" the Artist. Mr Moon also credits himself with authoring Princes' first "hit", trouble is Prince met Moon in 1976 and shortly left his company, well before Prince broke out in the Eighties. I guess Moon is used to stretching the truth.....as written in his literature.

___________________________________________________Rick...........

Babies with screwdrivers? No way :p:snoopy:

My father once put me to bed as a 3yr old....... I was throwing a strop because I wanted the screwdrivers I'd been playing with all evening and he said No.
In the end, he put me to bed with screwdrivers, I went to sleep........
I woke up, unscrewed the fixed side of the cot and then proceeded to remove door handles from the outside.
Now, this may seem funny but.........
My father was going through Air Crew Training at the time and could not make the briefing for that days first flight as he couldn't get out of the bedroom as the drive rod for the latch was removed with the knob by me :)
That's why you don't give kids screwdrivers;)

According to the "Moon" site "he" (Mr Moon) "discovered" the artist Prince..........Prince had already been playing in a band several years prior, he was going thru producers trying to get a break. As it happened this Moon guy "passed on" Prince to another guy. So much for "discovering" the Artist. Mr Moon also credits himself with authoring Princes' first "hit", trouble is Prince met Moon in 1976 and shortly left his company, well before Prince broke out in the Eighties. I guess Moon is used to stretching the truth.....as written in his literature.

___________________________________________________Rick...........

Prince broke out in the 70's ......

After research it seems Mr Moon is credited by many as discovering Prince. He did teach him how to produce in the studio and he did co write his first hit and is credited for doing so. It depends on who you talk as to how much his influence helped launch Prince or if he just stumbled on a prodigy. He did however shop his first demo to studios, helped hook him up with his first manager, got his first meeting with a major studio, and helped to raise his initial 500k from investors. There are those who feel he does not get the credit he deserves.

As far as the Dark Star goes I have no idea how he claims to do this. The only method I was able to find that could do this is called Microwave Hearing. There is very general technical info on this as well as very general schematics on how a system would work. There are a few patents out there but they are help by the USAF. I have no idea if this is what he claims to be doing, but although it is unlikely it is technically possible. I just ask this of Mr moon if you are able to make music or anything else directly to my brain please don't do it. I imagine the money to be made with such technology would come more from getting one to stop doing it rather than to pay a million plus to have it done.

This thread is a wonderful example of how no idea in modern audio is so daft that someone will not propose it (either seriously or in jest) while others believe it. The believers will then castigate the doubters for their lack of faith. Note that here the 'doubters' are usually not in any doubt; they are sure the claim is untrue and find it strange that anyone could be taken it by it. The only issue where there may remain doubt is whether the originators of the daft idea believe it themselves, or are being cynical/greedy or merely jesting.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.