Cable Distortion Measurements: Part Deux - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st December 2003, 07:36 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by johnferrier
So, it's nickel that is "bad"? Just wondering because the Vishay bulk metal foil resistors are nichrome. Steve when I wrote about these before, you mentioned "ruthenium oxide", not having the details that these particular resistors are constructed with nichrome. They are "non-inductive" but I guess they could be magnetic.
Well it's that nickel is ferromagnetic and saturable if the field's strong enough so if you want something that can produce nonlinearities, nickel and nickel alloys should work. Steel would be the poorer choice between the two since it saturates at much higher flux densities.

Not sure what you mean about the Vishays and ruthenium oxide. I don't recall saying the Vishay bulk metal foils were made with ruthenium oxide. I do recall mentioning a while back that ruthenium oxide was typically used for thick film resistors.

se
Old 21st December 2003, 07:40 AM   #12
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

Quote:
If you KNOW they don't, then perhaps you could send a set to John.
Certainly, provided John won't mind...

Those are leads measured in" Belgium" though, is that good enough?
You know it's that same small country that brought you CD, so called French Fries and all that other crap...

Maybe I should bribe you with a ballot of pralines first?

Cheers,
Old 21st December 2003, 07:43 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Eddy
Not sure what you mean about the Vishays and ruthenium oxide. I don't recall saying the Vishay bulk metal foils were made with ruthenium oxide. I do recall mentioning a while back that ruthenium oxide was typically used for thick film resistors.

se
Okay, guess the thoughts on bulk metal and thick films got intertwined.

Thanks, for clarifying the issue with nickel.

JF
Old 21st December 2003, 07:49 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fdegrove
Those are leads measured in" Belgium" though, is that good enough?
Good enough for what?

Quote:
Maybe I should bribe you with a ballot of pralines first?
Pralines? Yeccch. Try some nice unadulterated Belgian chocolate. Been havin' a hankerin' for some truffles lately.

se
Old 21st December 2003, 08:00 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by johnferrier
Okay, guess the thoughts on bulk metal and thick films got intertwined.
I looked up the post. Here it is:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...096#post282096

My mention of ruthenium oxide was in response to a link you'd given to an article about why Vishsay bulk metal foils were superior to carbon comp and thick film resistors and you'd made note of the bit in the article as to why carbon comps and thick films were noisier than the bulk metal foils and thought perhaps that could explain the "microdiode" theory.

I was pointing out that the situation with carbon comps and thick film resistors wasn't the same as you'd have with copper wire. In fact the reason the situation wouldn't be the same with copper is the same reason the bulk metal foils aren't as noisy.

Quote:
Thanks, for clarifying the issue with nickel.
No problem.

se
Old 21st December 2003, 08:01 AM   #16
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

Quote:
Been havin' a hankerin' for some truffles lately.
That's what we've trying to tell you for a year...

Cheers,
Old 21st December 2003, 09:08 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Frank, please quit putting your foot into this.
First, we have to see if we are measuring anything at all.
Steve implicitly trusts Bruno, because Bruno is getting null results.
I don't get nulls as often, so my test system is suspect.
Up to this point, I believe in my testing, but I am not interested in further measurements for people on this website, in general.
Furthermore, I don't care what Steve Eddy wants. He is no friend or even competitor of mine. My competitors and I treat each other with dignity, and we even help each other, on occasion.
He, and he alone, brings this subject of wire distortion, continually. If he can 'trash me' he will do so, big time.
I did my tests because I thought they showed something interesting about cables. I even invested in better test equipment, after being ridiculed at first, for my 'Mac the Scope' printouts. I cannot justify a $30,000 rig, just to please Steve Eddy, or any of the rest of you. Get your own test equipment, or leave it be.
Old 21st December 2003, 04:02 PM   #18
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Well, I'm interested in Bruno's measurements, too, because he's doing it on a system with better resolution than yours and enormously better than mine. And he seems to understand the need for documenting the gauge R&R capabilities of the system.

I'm also not a competitor, nor in the hifi business in any capacity, but having a pretty strong background in the physics of conductive materials, I'd sure like to see some interesting new phenomena to study. But they have to be REAL phenomena, not measurement artifacts- I learned well my lesson from Stan Pons.

If I were going to add one more thing to the list of test candidates, it would be some coathanger wire with the ends scraped free of insulation. That seems to be the favorite whipping boy of the magic cable set ("No more wire hangers! No more wire hangers!" "Owwww! No! Mommy!").
Old 21st December 2003, 05:21 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by john curl
First, we have to see if we are measuring anything at all.
Yes. Which is why I've so far spent over $50 of my own money on cables and postage so that you and Bruno can have the same cables to measure.

Quote:
Steve implicitly trusts Bruno, because Bruno is getting null results.
I implicitly trust no one and have always kept open the possibility that Bruno is being dishonest.

However I am more inclinded to trust the measurements made on a modern, reference standard measurement system known to be capable of measuring well below the levels you claim to be measuring.

Quote:
I don't get nulls as often, so my test system is suspect.
Your test system is suspect because if simple wires were as grossly nonlinear as your measurements indicate, not only is it difficult to believe that this behavior would have completely escaped the notice of the materials science research community, but it would render wire absolutely useless in applications where it's been working just fine for many decades.

se
Old 21st December 2003, 05:43 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

About test equipment, can I use a simple THD analyzer like the HP 332A to null out the fundamentals and put this signal into a soundcard like the DAL CardDeLuxe togetherwith a good FFT software, is this a good measurement device?.

What I think is, it may be very simple to make a reference measurement that will go for all comming measurements or?

Just measure the nulling device with a good soundcard Card DeLuxe then you have a very good an cheap instrument.

If not! where is the fault, and can I do it with even cheaper nulling device and soundcards.

Hide this!Advertise here!