Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th October 2013, 02:08 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Location: Mar del Plata, a BIG seasonal getaway city, can see the Ocean from our residence.
Default New JBL Monitor, M2 ...why so many Watts required?

Congratulations to JBL making a new Large format Monitor. Knowing that horns are necessity for large formats, JBL comes up with weird horn, an engineer saying "There's a lot of math there" making this horn. For the woofer they took a page from the Watkins Woofer camp from Infinity decades ago.
My overall pet peeve, at 92Db sensitivity, JBL calls for 1200 Watts worth of power to drive this....that's per unit!
Now, the amp "designated" for this monitor just so happens to be the Crown brand, not surprisingly also a "HARMON" product. So....this kinda leaves the rest of us out in the cold , so to speak........at $6K per monitor, this leaves little room for us to drive it with our paltry 100-350 watt amps....what's going on here?

__________________________________________________ ____Rick..........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg M2-Gallery-Large-003.jpg (56.5 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg M2-Gallery-Large-005.jpg (46.8 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg M2-Gallery-Large-007.jpg (65.8 KB, 119 views)

Last edited by Richard Ellis; 13th October 2013 at 02:53 AM. Reason: typo
Old 13th October 2013, 03:18 AM   #2
DUG is offline DUG  Canada
diyAudio Member

92dB sensitivity at 10W of driven power is the same whether the unit is rated for 50W or 1200W.

Yes?
Old 13th October 2013, 04:36 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Location: Mar del Plata, a BIG seasonal getaway city, can see the Ocean from our residence.
Not really........You maybe misunderstanding, it's the recommended power "they" want into this monitor, not the absolute maximum. The sensitivities are rather standardized at 2.83 Volts RMS, not 10W,..(Typically 1K hertz) into the unit at One Meter distant. For the eight ohm driver that is 1 W ...or as typically written ... 92Db@1W@1M....that will change for a four ohm unit, so it gets rewritten as 2.83VRMS, so 92Db@2.83VRMS@1M.
This new JBL monitor has a specific Model & make of 'recommended' amp to make it go.....rated at 1200 Watts.
This comes out to 122 Db at 1024 Watts......that's a lot of Decibels Frankie!
A "mere" 200 watts will get you a "rock concert" level around 115 Db...why the extra?

Last edited by Richard Ellis; 13th October 2013 at 04:39 AM. Reason: additional thoughts
Old 13th October 2013, 05:38 AM   #4
jcx is offline jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

maybe they expect you to listen a little further away than 1 m?
Old 13th October 2013, 10:23 AM   #5
Jay1234 is offline Jay1234  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: Way up North, In Newcastle haven't seen the Sun for days
Hi,
My two cents worth.
I think JBL have a policy of lets make speakers as power hungry & loud as it can possibly be.

I have a pair of JBL Tki 10s, That I MADE MYSELF...... lovely to look at stunning to hear & can run, just about, on One Harmon signature power amp I have two so they sound halfway decent but still sound way better with 4 amps per speaker. so you need to be in the next county, to take in some of the subtleties, that these speakers can give!

Jay
Old 13th October 2013, 10:41 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Ps
the Signatures were 250 w per channel & 600w when bridged so with 4 amps per monitor thats 4,800w per pair! for domestic speakers!!!.......I realise that these Flagship JBLs were probably loss leaders as I don't think that many were sold ( 8,000 each unit) in England, as iv'e not seen or heard of any others...

perhaps we could start an Exclusive top of the range JBL owners club or will it be a club for one.....lol
Btw it took 3 yrs to make mine
Jay
Old 18th October 2013, 09:48 PM   #7
JoeDJ is offline JoeDJ  United States
diyAudio Member

Kind of makes one long for the old "L100" .
Old 19th October 2013, 11:01 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

MMM the L 100 what fab little thing that was I so wish I still had them
Old 19th October 2013, 06:12 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

JBL is a fairly old-fashioned company and I suppose their recommended amp power is twice what the speakers can take continuously as was common in the olden days.

Tannoy is/was like that too. My LittleReds can take 125Wrms and the manual recommends using amps of 250W.

Hide this!Advertise here!