Learned something about home electricals and high draw appliances...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2003
Paid Member
This was the result of running a breadmaker a second go round. It WAS NOT plugged into this outlet, this outlet was just in the same circuit. Definitely has me thinking of having a dedicated circuit put in for sound system.

The bread machine started to act funny and stopped running. I could smell burning plastic, and figured my breaddmaker shot craps. Unplugged it and
set it on a table out on the porch. I kept smelling the burnt plastic smell, and walking through the living room I saw smoke in the air, as if someone had smoked a cigarette in there. Then I saw the plug. Obviously, the face plate has been replace in this pic (to keep curious puddy cats out). shots of the burned cover and roasted plug also.

When the electrician was explaining what happened, I learned something about home electricals. My house was constructed around vietnam wartime, and with copper going to the war effort, much of the romex used at the time is aluminum. In and of itself not necessarily bad, if proper installation is followed TO THE LETTER. This plug was not. They failed to put copperpig tails to the outlet. Scary part is, this wasnt even in the room I was in, and nothing was plugged in here, this was just the weak spot. If you remove the cover to your outlet and see silver colored wire going to the socket instead of copper, call an electrician! Makes you wonder about those Krells that draw 1400 watts from the wall...

Russellc

Attachments

• IMG_3828[1].JPG
    IMG_3828[1].JPG
    760.6 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_3832[1].JPG
    IMG_3832[1].JPG
    857.5 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_3829[1].JPG
    IMG_3829[1].JPG
    917.8 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Clearly a terrible event and glad you're ok but what was the cause of the receptacle burning out? What could it be about aluminum wire that could cause this?

The electrician explained it twice and it made no sense to me. Apparently, you have to take these juntion box things that attach to the ends of the aluminum wire, and attach copper pigtails to the other end, and the copper tails then connect to the socket. He also explained that this one not only didnt do that, but was likely a little "shorty" to boot. When the load got high, this was the weak spot. He said either you have to find aluminum spec sockets, which I guess are rare these days, or use the copper pig tails. I couldnt understand why a couple of inches of copper wire would make a difference, but this guy knows his stuff and assured me it did. I'm going through the house now checking and repairing them. I found another, half copper, half aluminum.
Obviously, some one upgraded a two outlet socket to a 4 outlet socket, but only used copper tails to connect the additional socket, instead of copper on all four. Plus, it was a little loose, so when you plugged unplugged things it wiggles the whole box, which will slowly work the wiring loose makeing another weak spot. That is now fixed too! It has also made me map the electrical, outlets switches everything
as this plug was the only one in the living room on this socket.

Russellc

Last edited:
Aluminum isn't as conductive as copper and so heats up more. The receptacle was along the circuit being used, and probably had a defective connection or nick in the wire that created further heating. With more heating, there may be more expansion & contraction of the aluminum wire, hence the copper pigtails to the inside of the utility box. AFAIK, aluminum is no longer code-approved for home wiring.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Wholly crawap!

I'm very relieved that it didn't propagate into something much worse.

Yes, I used to not think a thing of leaving the water distiller running while away or asleep...not anymore. Glad I didnt run to the grocery store or anything...although it was over by the time I discovered it, I only saw the aftermath as I was in a whole different room. That is why I want to map the whole house, so I know where every thing electrical is and where it goes. This circuit had this plug and overhead lights in the kitchen, a small bathroom in the hall, and this sole socket around the corner in the living room.

Russellc

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Aluminum isn't as conductive as copper and so heats up more. The receptacle was along the circuit being used, and probably had a defective connection or nick in the wire that created further heating. With more heating, there may be more expansion & contraction of the aluminum wire, hence the copper pigtails to the inside of the utility box. AFAIK, aluminum is no longer code-approved for home wiring.

This is exactly what he was explaining to me, you are right on. I would like to rewire, but that will be 7 grand, more than I have right now. He told me it is fine, but code has to be followed exactly. People (like myself) who dont have a clue dont know this, they just figure you hook it up like anything else and its good....NOT!

Russellc

Last edited:
Your wiring is probably grandfathered, but it seems odd to me to have a circuit spread across kitchen, bathroom, and living room (I'm not an electrician). It's a good idea to go around and check things, even adding those 12AWG copper pigtails. Glad to see the damage was confined; it could have been worse.

i was taught when i was an electrician apprentance that the allinuim wires crack and cause weak points that have higher resistance thus heat and fire. i was told that the only place legal to use allinuim wire was in free air like a line drop to a weather head.
your house is grandfathered in. however any changes has to be up to NEC standards.
the pigtails will prevent further movement and cracking of the wire.
i wouldnt loose sleep over it but please check your smoke detectors.

now all that said..... explane to me why it is not ok for the craftsmen to use that type of wire but, every underground, overhead service wire i was ever involved in from T.U. (texas utility) was allinium?
from 200A-thousands of amps, like the main service for rigmar mall, in size from #2-650mcm all allinium

For long runs, and/or extra large gauge, aluminum is undoubtedly much cheaper. And underground or overhead isn't a fire risk.
There may also be some differences with stranded vs. solid aluminum wire, as far as those negative characteristics go with the solid wiring the OP has.

So you can't claim the rewiring of your home from the home-owner's insurance? I would try that and see what they say, seeing as it can cause a future problem that you don't know about that is hidden. I am sure the insurance company would rather spend the 7 grand to make sure your home wiring is up to current regualations than having to pay out for a burnt down home. Also check your insurance clauses about this, as they might even refuse to pay out if your home burns down, siting that your wiring was not up to current regulations. Insurance these days will look for any excuse to not pay out.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Your wiring is probably grandfathered, but it seems odd to me to have a circuit spread across kitchen, bathroom, and living room (I'm not an electrician). It's a good idea to go around and check things, even adding those 12AWG copper pigtails. Glad to see the damage was confined; it could have been worse.

Well, if you were in the house it would make a little more sense. In the kitchen where the bread maker was plugged in, that circuit ONLY controls the over head light in the kitchen. The small bathroom is right next to it, and the light for the bathroom was on the circuit, with a coat closet between them and the wall to the livingroom. Sense the socket that blew, (just on the other side of the bathroom wall) Im betting they added the sole socket in the livingroom, as that is where their TV and hometheater stuff was plugged in. Obviously it was a "DIY" or rather DIWY, (do it wrong yourself) effort. This why I wanted to warn others here, as we are building some devices which draw a lot of current in a steady fashion.

Russellc

Joined 2003
Paid Member
So you can't claim the rewiring of your home from the home-owner's insurance? I would try that and see what they say, seeing as it can cause a future problem that you don't know about that is hidden. I am sure the insurance company would rather spend the 7 grand to make sure your home wiring is up to current regualations than having to pay out for a burnt down home. Also check your insurance clauses about this, as they might even refuse to pay out if your home burns down, siting that your wiring was not up to current regulations. Insurance these days will look for any excuse to not pay out.

I will check that out. Knowing how insurance companies are, (I am a Lawyer) they probably would just drop me! That's even cheaper! (for them) My wiring passes code, it was inspected as it was an FHA loan and they were way picky. there is nothing inherently bad about aluminum wiring, IF YOU FOLLOW CODE PRECISELY. The reason it isnt used anymore, at least until another factor causes copper shortages, is because of how many people, myself included are totally ignorant of the procedures required to do it correctly. There are Zillions of houses wired this way. Those owners, like myself, would be well advised to take precautions to assure everything is correct. It makes for a DIY nightmare and is a fine example of "A little bit of knowledge can be a dangerous thing."

Russellc

Joined 2003
Paid Member
For long runs, and/or extra large gauge, aluminum is undoubtedly much cheaper. And underground or overhead isn't a fire risk.
There may also be some differences with stranded vs. solid aluminum wire, as far as those negative characteristics go with the solid wiring the OP has.

Correct. You better believe I am going through every socket and switch. I am having my electrician do it, as I want to make sure it is correct.

Russellc

Joined 2003
Paid Member
i was taught when i was an electrician apprentance that the allinuim wires crack and cause weak points that have higher resistance thus heat and fire. i was told that the only place legal to use allinuim wire was in free air like a line drop to a weather head.
your house is grandfathered in. however any changes has to be up to NEC standards.
the pigtails will prevent further movement and cracking of the wire.
i wouldnt loose sleep over it but please check your smoke detectors.

now all that said..... explane to me why it is not ok for the craftsmen to use that type of wire but, every underground, overhead service wire i was ever involved in from T.U. (texas utility) was allinium?
from 200A-thousands of amps, like the main service for rigmar mall, in size from #2-650mcm all allinium

Exactly. It just when someone who doesnt know this (like the prior owner) and hooks something up them self...(and I am almost positive this outlet was just added on for their TV setup in that corner) major problems like mine can occur.

Something I just thought of, while much lower draw, I wonder if light sockets need to be "pigtailed" as well? Looks like another project pushing to the head of the line!

Russellc

Last edited:
I will check that out. Knowing how insurance companies are, (I am a Lawyer) they probably would just drop me! That's even cheaper! (for them) My wiring passes code, it was inspected as it was an FHA loan and they were way picky. there is nothing inherently bad about aluminum wiring, IF YOU FOLLOW CODE PRECISELY. The reason it isnt used anymore, at least until another factor causes copper shortages, is because of how many people, myself included are totally ignorant of the procedures required to do it correctly. There are Zillions of houses wired this way. Those owners, like myself, would be well advised to take precautions to assure everything is correct. It makes for a DIY nightmare and is a fine example of "A little bit of knowledge can be a dangerous thing."

Russellc

Wow, just as well no homes here that I know of uses Aluminium wiring. Some of our contractors are known for taking shortcuts, and some are just not as qualified as they claim to be.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.