Computer guys help needed- piping audio thru network....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK I'm going to be throwing a party soon in the house. I have a DJ/PA system setup in one room, with 2 Pioneer CDJ100 DJ CD players, mixer and I'll have a laptop computer. This laptop computer will be hooked up to my home network. On the other end of the network is my Desktop computer, which is in another room, and hooked to my home stereo system. I'm trying to find a way to pipe the audio from one system to another with high quality (preferably so it can go both ways), I thought about various conventional ways such as long line level runs. However, only the PA system uses balanced line and the amount of line for unbalanced I feel would be too great. I thought about perhaps a wireless setup but quickly dismissed that as quality would go out the window.

I'm trying to spend a minimal amount of money too. So I came up with this idea. Is there any way to feed the audio into the laptop computer, have it get transferred to digital, and have that digital signal get sent over my network into my other computer, which will transform it back to analog so it will play through my other system? I realize this wont be audiophile quality, but for its purpose it will be plenty high quality. Any suggestions? Thanks!

diyAudio Member
Joined 2003
I'm trying to spend a minimal amount of money too. So I came up with this idea. Is there any way to feed the audio into the laptop computer, have it get transferred to digital, and have that digital signal get sent over my network into my other computer, which will transform it back to analog so it will play through my other system? I realize this wont be audiophile quality, but for its purpose it will be plenty high quality. Any suggestions? Thanks

ok im alittle confused on your post so ill do my best,

Is there any way to feed the audio into the laptop computer, ya there is u can use the line in on the laptops sound card or the mic socket although the mic will sacrifice your quality, to get this sound over to braudcast on your network u may want to look for a braudcasting software for networking use, or it may be possible to open a program up to get into your laptops sound out in the network, i think linux would be the way to go on this. The signal in computers is digital so if u can get it going over your network it should be automatically converted to digital then back to anolog on the other comp, this is very possible but my advice is to look for a braudcasting software maybe on a peer to peer? lol and im sure the quality will be cd quality if u have a fast enough network and a decent program to send the signal.

Trev

Tazzy said:
shoutcast could be an option?

That what I was going to day =)

Or Icecast would do the trick. Of you use a LAN network you are able to set the quality of the streams very high. I already made a similair setup and worked pretty well...The only draw back was a small delay between the source and the actual output on the remote location (I was using MP3 compression for the stream.)

www.shoutcast.com

or

www.icecast.org

I hope this help you

Thanks for the replys guys. I'm trying to use Shoutcast as we speak.

But I've tried for the past 3 hours to get this to work, but I'm having difficulty. I'm not trying to broadcast over the net, however this is what I'm trying to do. I have a DJ system at one side of the house with DJ CD players + mixer + laptop. I'd like to pipe this music (using line in on laptop) to the home stereo thats in another room (having a party). So, I really need the max # of users to be 1 or at the very most 2. The receiving end will be my desktop computer thats hooked to the home stereo. The computers in my house are networked together with a Linksys router and share an internet connection.

I have eveything with the server software as well as the plug in for winamp setup on the laptop computer which will be the "broadcaster". However, I'm getting the NAK error of cannot see the computer from the internet. In actuality I really do not need it to be seen from the internet as I only need to broadcast to behind my router. What am I doing wrong? Help!

eRiCdWoNg said:
Thanks for the replys guys. I'm trying to use Shoutcast as we speak.

But I've tried for the past 3 hours to get this to work, but I'm having difficulty. I'm not trying to broadcast over the net, however this is what I'm trying to do. I have a DJ system at one side of the house with DJ CD players + mixer + laptop. I'd like to pipe this music (using line in on laptop) to the home stereo thats in another room (having a party). So, I really need the max # of users to be 1 or at the very most 2. The receiving end will be my desktop computer thats hooked to the home stereo. The computers in my house are networked together with a Linksys router and share an internet connection.

I have eveything with the server software as well as the plug in for winamp setup on the laptop computer which will be the "broadcaster". However, I'm getting the NAK error of cannot see the computer from the internet. In actuality I really do not need it to be seen from the internet as I only need to broadcast to behind my router. What am I doing wrong? Help!

To work you don't need internet. If you run the shoutcast server on the same machine you should not have any problem I just did it with just changing de password in the .ini files from changeme to a secret password, after that you do in the plugin you enter your password adjust the MP3 compression setting, (put in to max setting if your computer let you) and voila, you are broadcasting. after that you need to go on your remote PC and conect to the server with wimap.

eRiCdWoNg said:
I got it to work- woo hoo! However- the delay is WAYYYYYY longer then I had imagined. We're talking like 8-10 seconds! I wonder if thers a way to cut it down. Maybe cause I'm trying to encode it at CD quality at 128 kbs and 44.1 khz....

128Kbs is not CD Quality.

320Kbs is more like it.

But I trying to find a way to streams the sounds without compression and I keep you informed.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.