Power conditioners, UPS's? my lights dim when the system is up

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There are devices for regulating AC power, but they're a bit costly:
Power Distributors & Conditioners | B&H Photo Video
This is a tap changing regulator. Two problems immediately come to mind:
1) Since his load is not steady, you'll see dip, followed by a correction attempt, followed by overshoot, and then another correction attempt. Worse than sag.
2) Even if the correction is perfect, it would only supply the correct voltage to the connected equipment. Everything else sees a worse sag. Lights dim even more.

So is there any such thing as a unit that plug into 240 and regulates down to 120? I think the crown will plug into 240, but nothing else in the rack will.
It doesn't regulate, but a step-down transformer will do that. Not to be rude, but you really should have get professional involved. You're in over your head here and messing around with line voltage isn't something to be taken lightly.

You could try an oversized double conversion UPS or conditioner. This will provide a rock steady AC for your stereo and tend to average out the transient bass hits consumption of AC power. There may still be some light dimming, but not as severe. These conditioners (at least the newer models) will all have active power factor correction front ends, so will draw current with more normal crest factor. This results in overall lower voltage drop from the transformer to your panel. If you don't see the words double-conversion, you won't get any benefit. Be prepared to spend multiple thousands of dollars on a unit large enough to supply your peak output current demand of the stereo.

I doubt you have a wiring problem; it sounds more like a smallish transformer supplying the building. But since your solution involves thousands of dollars, the money might be better spent by your landlord paying an electrician to inspect the wiring.

My sytem seems to draw a large amount of power, enough to dim the lights

Its every light in the house

I'm not so sure its a problem with the house.

(noise complaints stacking up)

everyone thinks its awesome that my system is so bad that it dims the lights lol

I wonder, is the problem the wiring in the house, or is it you? Have you had your ears checked lately Rob?

Mike

rif

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I'm not so sure its a problem with the house. Its not very frequent I have the opportunity to crank it up, under normal operation i have no issues, only a party. Consider I'm running a crown CE2000, speakercraft BB50s, rat shack mpa 200 along with my laptop, a 42" plasma 2 equalizers and a tuner plus the pool pump and the a/c is running constant to keep up with the extra body's, well pump (no city water),I have 2 refrigerators (sometimes up to 4 if they'r all plugged in), lighting ect... I'm sure the meter is spinning in overdrive. My house draws allot of electric, I'm just looking to protect my amps.

You could try managing the demand side of this. At parties unplug all the refrigerators, turn off lights, unplug TVs, computers, monitors, laser printers, DVRs... Try out and see if it helps. Can't hurt.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.