Power conditioners, UPS's? my lights dim when the system is up - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th September 2013, 10:32 AM   #21
FoMoCo is offline FoMoCo  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
again, to be clear, a power conditioner no matter how expensive will not solve a lack of power problem like this??
No. It will not. Most power conditioners are useless even when there isn't such a big problem to correct.
Old 13th September 2013, 10:37 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangus View Post
There are devices for regulating AC power, but they're a bit costly:
Power Distributors & Conditioners | B&H Photo Video
This is a tap changing regulator. Two problems immediately come to mind:
1) Since his load is not steady, you'll see dip, followed by a correction attempt, followed by overshoot, and then another correction attempt. Worse than sag.
2) Even if the correction is perfect, it would only supply the correct voltage to the connected equipment. Everything else sees a worse sag. Lights dim even more.
Old 14th September 2013, 12:20 AM   #23
Rob B is offline Rob B  United States
diyAudio Member

So is there any such thing as a unit that plug into 240 and regulates down to 120? I think the crown will plug into 240, but nothing else in the rack will.
Old 14th September 2013, 01:32 AM   #24
evanc is online now evanc  United States
diyAudio Member

Location: New Jersey. About 1 hour from NYC and 1 min. from the beach
A 240vac outlet has both 120v sides of the houses wiring in it.
Old 14th September 2013, 11:34 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
So is there any such thing as a unit that plug into 240 and regulates down to 120? I think the crown will plug into 240, but nothing else in the rack will.
It doesn't regulate, but a step-down transformer will do that. Not to be rude, but you really should have get professional involved. You're in over your head here and messing around with line voltage isn't something to be taken lightly.
Old 14th September 2013, 01:00 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

You could try an oversized double conversion UPS or conditioner. This will provide a rock steady AC for your stereo and tend to average out the transient bass hits consumption of AC power. There may still be some light dimming, but not as severe. These conditioners (at least the newer models) will all have active power factor correction front ends, so will draw current with more normal crest factor. This results in overall lower voltage drop from the transformer to your panel. If you don't see the words double-conversion, you won't get any benefit. Be prepared to spend multiple thousands of dollars on a unit large enough to supply your peak output current demand of the stereo.

I doubt you have a wiring problem; it sounds more like a smallish transformer supplying the building. But since your solution involves thousands of dollars, the money might be better spent by your landlord paying an electrician to inspect the wiring.
Old 14th September 2013, 01:57 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Yea, I'm just going to leave it alone. Like I said, moving in a few months anyways.
Old 14th September 2013, 01:59 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

The transformer is really far from the house compared to most I've seen too, may have something to do with it.
Old 14th September 2013, 02:17 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
My sytem seems to draw a large amount of power, enough to dim the lights
Quote:
Its every light in the house
Quote:
I'm not so sure its a problem with the house.
Quote:
(noise complaints stacking up)
Quote:
everyone thinks its awesome that my system is so bad that it dims the lights lol
I wonder, is the problem the wiring in the house, or is it you? Have you had your ears checked lately Rob?

Mike
Old 14th September 2013, 09:20 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

It isn't often I get it that loud, I just don't won't to damage my amps when they are running that close to full. And yea, its retarted loud, that's the pointm

Hide this!Advertise here!