Golden Ears - a blessing or a curse

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It also pretty much excludes it sounding like a piano. Pianos, being large, are a bit like directional radio antennas: the full effect cannot be appreciated at too close a range.
Exactly. And the stereo speakers in your room are not going to re-create that soundfield exactly. However, with a fully 'complementary' recording/synthesis and playback setup, I'm pretty sure that the illusion of a piano playing in your living room can be achieved. A piano playing in another specific room or hall, maybe not.

Last edited:
When I was a kid I could easily hear the line oscillator in a TV. I could also easily tell if a program was live, film or video tape simply by the sound quality. Now my hearing drops like a stone at 12KHz.

Cheers

Ian

At my 44's, I still can hear the horizontal in old TV sets, not the 15625Hz directly, but the random noise generated while not on sync.

No so simple. The synchroguide circuit was very complex for that era, although a simple 6SN7 did the job, the circuit was very complex. A word for the older ones in which the oscillator and discharge was separate stages. I could see a 6V6 as horizontal oscillator (Not directly I saw, but in 50's manuals).

Inspired in those circuits, I did a strange design which is actually under development, but is working pretty fine.

Synch pulses must be of higher frequency than the stand alone (natural) frequency of the oscillator to be synch'ed. If not, the oscillator will be synch'ed at a 1/2 the frequency, as pulses appears between two oscillator cycles.

The multivibrator oscillator and the sychroguide has a resonant tank in them to help improve stability.

I believe that actual PLL's are a evolution from those DC "tuned" square wave oscillators. I used this idea in my design.

Golden Ears - both a blessing and a curse

Golden Ears - both a blessing and a curse:
A blessing because it is easy to listen to differences and to setup and tweak a audio setup to perfection, and specially when all other noises than the the intended audio have been eliminated.
A curse because sound emitting from SSD drives, RAM modules, transformers, power supplies light bulbes etc., are disturbing, even the pickup needle when playing LPs are emitting sound that are easily heard even playing at 100dB SPL peaks.

Dangerous thing to do, Ray, reviving this thread ... ;)

I believe just about everyone has Golden Ears, it's really about the type of focus being used at the time of "trying to hear something ..." - it's the listening when not 'listening' that counts ...

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.