Golden Ears - a blessing or a curse - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st September 2013, 12:19 PM   #11
jayadev is offline jayadev  India
diyAudio Member

I think Hearing is more to what our brain want to hear than ears can actually hear.
For example while sleeping we hear almost nothing.
I far east people train themselves fight blindfolded,martial arts.

In similar context,

If we remain in a sound proof room for hours and expose ourselves to outer world quickly,it sounds chaotic at first. similarly if we hear loud music for a while and get into a quite cubicle it feels heaven.

Apparently we have ability to select or reject particular note or sound as well.

I always feel stressed when CRT televisions are turned on.

Last edited by jayadev; 1st September 2013 at 12:21 PM.
Old 1st September 2013, 12:22 PM   #12
davym is offline davym  Scotland
diyAudio Member

I get that in Tescos Supermarket, it's noisy chaos when I enter, but it's still noisy chaos as I leave, it's great to get back in the car again.
Old 1st September 2013, 01:46 PM   #13
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Gregg View Post
Its interesting that even without training you know when a guitar is out of tune. The difference is with training you know why.
I'm afraid that may not be the reality

and I hate to say it, but you might even find many musicians who are happily playing instruments that are not tuned very well

gosh ... when I think of the old days before anyone had the modern tuners ... noone knew how a clean A sounded, and they didn't even care

modern tuners are a blessing

btw ... how about the sense of rythm ? ... I suppose it's closely connected to our hearing ?
Old 1st September 2013, 03:30 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

On a similar note, I just saw a late nite TV interview with this books author. Things like why one small tribe can run long distances or why descendents from an area in West Africa that was exposed to Malaria can sprint but are poor at distance running.

The Sports Gene: Inside the Science of Extraordinary Athletic Performance by David Epstein (Aug 1, 2013)
Old 2nd September 2013, 10:43 AM   #15
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myhrrhleine
We all have the genes. It is just a matter of whether the genes are turned on or not(see epigenetics).
It is perhaps comforting to know that on DIYaudio knowledge of biology is just as lacking as knowledge of electronics.
Old 4th September 2013, 05:06 AM   #16
Banned

Quote:
It is perhaps comforting to know that on DIYaudio knowledge of biology is just as lacking as knowledge of electronics.
LOL!
Old 4th September 2013, 05:08 AM   #17
Jsixis is offline Jsixis  United States
diyAudio Member

also depends as to what type of life your born into and/or end up having to work in.
Get stuck in a factory or driving a cargo van where the DB level is 95+ and it doesn't matter what type of genes you have your going to lose some hearing.
Old 4th September 2013, 07:33 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

'We all have the genes. It is just a matter of whether the genes are turned on or not'

I will agree with this. I can smell stale food which nobody around me smells. I have experienced this on many occasions. Most people distribute a sweet called 'pedha' here on their success or any good news. I first smell it and wouldn't dare to eat for the presense of fungi when all others will happily enjoy it.

Gajanan Phadte
Old 4th September 2013, 07:47 AM   #19
balerit is offline balerit  South Africa
diyAudio Member

I seem to have lost a band in my hearing - that range of a nagging wifes voice.
Old 4th September 2013, 09:35 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

We do not all have the same genes.

There are many alleles, genes or groups of genes which do similar but slightly different things.
The ACE gene for example comes generally in two versions.
One version gives the carrier the ability to put on muscle mass quickly, mostly fast twitching fibres. In terms of sport these people make good sprinters.
The other version does not allow fast muscle growth and the muscles tend to have more slow twitching fibres. Carriers do better at endurance sports.

This gene also affects the carriers decision making process with carriers of the former version being more decisive and quicker about it while the latter tend to procrastinate a bit more.

Thirdly it also affects the carriers longevity with the carriers of the second version living on average 10-15 years longer than carriers of the first.

The number of copies of a gene also can vary between individuals.
Some genes can be disadvantageous if too few copies are present but equally bad if there are too many copies but with vastly different symptoms.

Furthermore research has shown that if one is blind from birth the audio processing takes over parts of the visual cortex. These people can 'hear' substantially better than seeing people. However if someone goes blind later on in life ie sometime after birth they will not be able to train their hearing to be any better than non-visually impaired folks could.

PS: This is just to give a gist of how things are/work, in reality it is lot more complex and we are yet only scratching the surface of this line of research.
The real mystery begins when switched on genes produce proteins plus how and why these proteins are folded. For example: The protein which causes Mad Cow Disease is normally perfectly harmless, only when it is folded in a particular way does it become deadly.

Hide this!Advertise here!