Speakers for Dolphins

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Cool...
But I see an opportunity to improve them, almost sonar, they need to fit a :censored:
:D

On Nat Geo recently there was an interesting program on Dolphin Intelligence, not as high as originally thought as a lot of their brain mass consists of cells to keep the brain warm. Great program, just like a thread on here, one set against the other. The Dolphin huggers were aghast at the new research.
Myself I have always campaigned for 'Tuna friendly Dolphin' :) which causes some controversy when I interact with the hardcore save the animals types. But my view is shouldn't we treat all critter the same.

Thanks for sharing this is a cool item. Interesting how "flat" it is 70K on! :eek:

I wonder if the scientists stressed over which connector materials, cable sheathing, solid, Litz, silver, copper, debates we would have here. Maybe the dolphins can tell us what's best? :D

Piezo composite (For that is what it surely is) transducers do not match at all well to air, at least not without a massive amount of horn loading (Or something funky like some sort of flexture tensional device), and are not all that broadband without some fairly heroic matching networks which tend to cause the phase response to end up all over the shop.

Can you get audio out of them? Sure you can (And I have), but almost anything else is easier.

I would note that the ~160dB re 1uPa is actually deeply unimpressive as sonar transducers go and hints that there is a substantial resistor in the matching network to kill much of the Q.

Regards, Dan.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.