Advice for the Blind, Unsteady, Middle-Aged, Fat Fingered and Detail Challenged... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th August 2013, 12:55 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Advice for the Blind, Unsteady, Middle-Aged, Fat Fingered and Detail Challenged...

I have huge problems with basic, simple tasks. Threading the miniscule speaker terminals with wire whose colour I cannot see because it's too small. My hands shake back and forth 1.5 cm making soldering and working with anything small a challenge. I have all the lights on, an LED headlamp, magnifying glasses, I simply cannot see a darn thing! I estimate that anything less than 10mm in diameter is too small for me to work with. I would guess that nothing less than a 100x microscope and a 500watt light bulb would fix this.
Old 20th August 2013, 01:55 PM   #2
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

Well, when it comes to small, thin speaker wire going into small terminals, my suggestion is to:

A. Pick a wire, whether red or black.

B. Pull it apart from the other wire for several inches, so that you are holding only one color wire in your fingers-the other color is not even in your hand.

C. Twist the end of the wire to make it pointy.

D. Make a 90 degree angle with the wire so you can lower the wire into the terminal.

That's just for hooking up speakers. Good luck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wire terminal.jpg (12.4 KB, 122 views)
Old 20th August 2013, 02:29 PM   #3
mach1 is offline mach1  Australia
diyAudio Member

Re the shakes, don't

Actually it's usually due to breathing,(or rather the lack thereof): when most people try to concentrate on a fiddly task they tend to hold their breath, which causes oxygen depletion / carbon dioxide retention, resulting in the shakes. This then makes them even more frustrated, further increasing this tendency. Most people are entirely unaware they have actually stopped breathing during this process.

The answer: learn to become aware of and control your breathing when carrying out fiddly tasks. Consciously take regular regular breaths and exhalations and I am sure your soldering technique will improve.

Re you vision - see an optometrist !

Last edited by mach1; 20th August 2013 at 02:42 PM.
Old 20th August 2013, 03:19 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Clearly I did not communicate correctly. I have glasses, but I cannot see the color of wire without magnification. Everything is too small and too fine and lacks high enough contrast for me to differentiate between two wires. This is with additional light, and with glasses, and with magnification. Oh well. Thanks?
Old 21st August 2013, 07:48 AM   #5
M Gregg is offline M Gregg  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Night blindness,

Just for interest.
Might not be of interest.

Nyctalopia, blueberries come to mind for some reason.

http://www.ehow.com/way_5151309_over...blindness.html

As above, Re you vision Click the image to open in full size. - see an optometrist !

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited by M Gregg; 21st August 2013 at 07:55 AM.
Old 21st August 2013, 08:46 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

In that case, you should take the help of the DMM to identify and check the wires you connected. Do not miss it for anything you do.

Hand shake is told to me by the doctors is normal. It agrevates if I am tired or had a sleepless night.

To help you with it, you should place your working forearm on a steady support.

Gajanan Phadte

Last edited by gmphadte; 21st August 2013 at 08:51 AM. Reason: spelling and word correction
Old 22nd August 2013, 01:03 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Gregg View Post
Night blindness,
In a brightly lit room with an LED lamp shining on the workspace? I don't think so. My night vision is better than most. In a darkened room I can see what most others cannot. No, this is only wrt small items, electronics and such. It's probably just being middle aged. Expecting to be able to do what you could at 25 is silly.
Quote:
see an optometrist !
All say my vision is fine.
Old 22nd August 2013, 01:27 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

There is something very incongruous with what you describe and your optometrists' assessment of your vision as being 'fine'.

If I were to contact my optometrist and describe the type short distance visual impairment you outlined in your first post I am sure he would request that he fully assess the cause of my hyperopia.

Last edited by mach1; 22nd August 2013 at 01:55 AM.
Old 23rd August 2013, 08:26 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I have to assume that, by your location, you are Chinese. A recent study learned that many Chinese do not get enough vitamin D as they shun sunlight, causing myopia. So, get out there. Vitamin D pills won't fix it (hmmm, is there a medical term for "fear of the sun"? E
Old 23rd August 2013, 09:29 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Strange as it may seem, the vitamin D deficiency problem has become increasingly prevalent in Australia. Due to high rates of skin cancer the population is encouraged to limit its exposure to the sun from an early age. Kids are taught that a tan is not healthy; on the contrary it is a sign of skin damage.

It is interesting to note when watching recent cricket matches that the English team members are more tanned than their Australian counterparts (ignoring racial characteristics).

Physicians are now prescribing vitamin D supplements to a large section of the community, so I assume they may have some effect.

Last edited by mach1; 23rd August 2013 at 09:33 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!