Bob Pease rants about "stuff" in EDN

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A while back, EDN had an insert with the magazine called "Electronics Industry's Mover and Shakers for 2003". I just got around to looking at it yesterday. It contained a "Special Advertising Section", in which questions were posed to 4 guys at National Semiconductor.

Only Bob Pease is of interest.

Here are some of his remarks, as only he could say them:

Q: Which Technologies have created significant change throughout the industry?

Pease: I agree that CMOS has made many advancements possible for analog stuff, as well as digital. But it makes it harder to design and breadboard things. It's hard to design low-voltage circuits, compared to bipolar. So CMOS hasn't obsoleted bipolar stuff for some applications. Some of my newest circuits and patents depend on bipolar technology because CMOS can't work with any precision at very low levels It can indicate ones and zeros but not a hell of a lot more.

Q: What tools do you use to get the job done?

Pease: Pen and pencil, back of an envelope. I do breadboards on things. My applied language is a soldering iron.

Q: If you could go back over your career and change something within your field, what would you change?

Pease: I'd shoot the guys who were going to invent SPICE.

Q: What do you say to those folks who think the future is all digital?

Pease: Of course it's not all digital. If it was all digital, we in analog would have shrunk off to our corner and died. And that's not happening. Analog will do quite well into the far future, because without it, all that digital stuff is just a bunch of ones and zeros that no one can understand.

Ah.......my kind of guy........

Jocko

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.