Multi-Room Audio help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I need some help understanding the options I have for creating a multi-room audio system in residential house. I'll give you specs that my customer has requested and then I'll give you the equipment I picked out to achieve his request. What I need is some help understanding if my thought process is correct or better ways to achieve good result @ reasonable price.

My customer whats 4 zones of audio (1 pair of speakers in the kitchen, 1 pair speakers in the garage, 1 pair of outdoor speakers on his patio, and 1 pair of outdoor speakers on his porch). He wants to access music on his ipad, internet radio sites, and play the football game on his TV through those speakers. Also wants independent volume control.

So here is what I was thinking......should I go with stereo receiver instead of home theater receiver? I don't need the surround sound feature, so why have it. I was going to power the speakers in the living room and garage with speaker outputs A & B. Then to power the patio and porch outdoor speakers I was using separate amp connected to the pre-out on the stereo receiver. Does anyone see something wrong with this or a better option? Then for his ipad I was going to use an airport express and utilize the its airplay feature.

Can someone tell me if I'm on the right track?

JP

Joined 2011
In practice, probably not very user friendly.

I use a Russound MCA-C5 to run eight zones, and CasaTunes software. The Russound gives me 6 inputs and 8 outputs - 6 amplified, two line level plus a decent keypad in each zone.

I can airplay to CasaTunes (multiple airplay streams) or sync my iTunes or other libraries to it. It also supports Spotify and some other streaming services directly. Casatunes also talks to the Russound, so it can control it and show, for example, airplay metadata on the zone keypads.

Casatunes can also talk to most popular receivers via ethernet or serial. For my living room zone, the systems turns on my Onkyo AVR via ethernet and sets the input to a source hooked up to a corresponding Russound zone output.

All controlled via web interface, iphone or ipad app, android app, or wall keypads.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.