the DVD format controversy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Last week, a salesperson from a big electronic retailer mentionned in a TV show that DVD disc begins to show problem after about 150 hours of use. In fact they had to replace discs used in demos because they weren't readable anymore.

Well, is there anyone here who could share experience or opinions about this ?

Hey, come on... I decided to go on the DVD bandwagon because I thought that I could keep the movies I love for several years but now.... I'm not sure anymore... I'm not interested to buy the same movies again on another format. (Just like I did when going from VHS to DVD)

Why should I buy DVD if I have to buy them again later ? Is that wise from companies that want to stop P2P networks from making available their copyrighted material ?

Well, I hope someone will have answers.

i haven't had any problems with my DVD's. Just looked at a few
that i purchased the first week DVD's were available... but then
again i haven't watched The Fugitive 150 times, not even
Blade Runner!

you haven't lived until you've purchased a movie on Laser Disc,
and then the special edition on Laser, and then the DVD, and
then the special edition DVD, and then the Super Bit DVD, and
then the HD Tape, and then the HD-DVD (and going, and going)

seriously though, most all my Laser Discs are now showing ROT,
and none of my DVD's have... the Demo DVD's they're talking
about probably get a lot more abuse than well cared for DVD's
in the home setting... as long as they last until HD-DVD comes
out :)

Funny thing..............I have actually had this happen to me. My friend had a copy of "Army Of Darkness" that stopped playing in his DVD player. He gave it to me, and it worked for a little while, then stopped playing. This is the only DVD this has happened to, so I don't know if it is a fluke, a manufacturing defect, or some other strange problem. I would be curious to know if this has happened to other people. Everybody chime in.

Cheers,
Zach

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.