inaudible voice on home theatre system - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th June 2013, 11:47 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default inaudible voice on home theatre system

Ok I'm a admitted newbie. First I was relieved to find out this issue is not a singular problem and rather common experience. I have been trying to hear the clear voice on my sony home theatre system, but to no avail. Voices seem like whispers and the background music /action scenes are increased to annoying levels. You have to turn volume way up to hear dialog then the other scenes come on and blows your ears out. How does this get corrected? Is there a solution for this? This isn't a high end system, this. Shouldn't be so bad. I'm not liking these pre programed systems. I like the ability to c ontrol the balance and tuning.
Old 24th June 2013, 01:44 PM   #2
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

I could be many things. We need more info like model #'s and pics
Old 24th June 2013, 03:46 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the offering up some assistance. What I have is a Sony
DVD Home Theatre System model DAV-HDX285. Honestly, I moved recently and the speaker balancing node (?) hasn't been located. I'm hoping we can still achieve a clearer voice delivery.
Old 24th June 2013, 04:02 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Might one of your speakers have reversed wires?
Old 24th June 2013, 04:18 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Centre channel not working?
Old 24th June 2013, 07:02 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks boys, checked wiring and center speaker. Both are connected and working. I'm wondering if the digital connect from satellite system and tv may not work as well as an rc hookup? I'm drawing straws here. Also there is pro logic, multi, stereo, music and movie. Seems pro logic gives the best clear dialog.
Old 24th June 2013, 07:52 PM   #7
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

If prologic gives you the best voice then your center channel is working ok. Maybe it's just the speakers themselves?
Old 24th June 2013, 07:57 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I have found that this is a more common problem, than I originally expected. Is this something you are aware of, also?
Old 24th June 2013, 11:08 PM   #9
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

Are you SURE the speakers are "in phase"? It is not enough that all speakers work. The wires can be backwards and the speaker still works. But you need them to all move the same direction together, to be in phase.

Turn off or disconnect the center speaker for this test. Normally, when you listen to a pair of stereo speakers, the sound SEEMS to come from the point in the middle between the speakers. Especially the lower notes. If one speaker is reversed from the other, then the sound gets a thin spacy quality, and seems to come from anyplace BUT between the speakers. The bottom end will be noticeably reduced from cancellation.

How is the system EQ'ed? Do you have a subwoofer and a lot of bottom end boost? That will pump up action scenes.

How about ambient noise. After a loud passage, when the quiet dialog occurs, is there anything that might interfere with your hearing it. Like the air conditioner or dishwasher or ceiling fan?
Old 25th June 2013, 04:30 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Is there a Karaoke switch on the unit.

Gajanan Phadte

Hide this!Advertise here!