Formatting an external hard drive - some help wanted - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th June 2013, 02:32 PM   #21
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I don't use compression, unless you intend to stick to windows and have a very fast processor I find it more trouble than it is worth. I use a mix of linux and windows machines here and like the fact that linux has no trouble reading or writing to conventional NTFS formatted drives.

Ashok, we all have those moments..
Old 26th June 2013, 07:56 PM   #22
hpeter is offline hpeter  Europe
diyAudio Member

using rar or zip archives has a benefit, (if i forget the less used space) then sure it is the repair feature.
you must enable it before compression, though (1...xx%)
-------
ntfs can reduce filesize, with built in filesystem compression, no external program needed. Such files have blue names
Old 27th June 2013, 06:14 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to KMossman Send a message via Skype™ to KMossman
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashok View Post
KMossman: Thanks for the advice. I actually did that but didn't use any compression. I guess I should be doing that too.
Compression usually does little for video and images, so best to use no compression if most files are such.

Maybe you needed to select ALL directories and sub-directories to make it work on your zip/rar/etc utility.
Old 27th June 2013, 06:21 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to KMossman Send a message via Skype™ to KMossman
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkr View Post
I don't use compression, unless you intend to stick to windows and have a very fast processor I find it more trouble than it is worth.
all depends on your priority - minimizing space or minimizing time!

Most compression utilities allow the user to select the degree of compression; usually more compression means more time and less space.

The type of file influences the degree of compression - some image and video files may even be larger after compression. Like any tool, knowing it well makes a big difference in the effectiveness.

Hide this!Advertise here!