Formatting an external hard drive - some help wanted

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I don't use compression, unless you intend to stick to windows and have a very fast processor I find it more trouble than it is worth. I use a mix of linux and windows machines here and like the fact that linux has no trouble reading or writing to conventional NTFS formatted drives.

Ashok, we all have those moments.. :D

KMossman: Thanks for the advice. I actually did that but didn't use any compression. I guess I should be doing that too.

Compression usually does little for video and images, so best to use no compression if most files are such.

Maybe you needed to select ALL directories and sub-directories to make it work on your zip/rar/etc utility.

I don't use compression, unless you intend to stick to windows and have a very fast processor I find it more trouble than it is worth.

all depends on your priority - minimizing space or minimizing time!

Most compression utilities allow the user to select the degree of compression; usually more compression means more time and less space.

The type of file influences the degree of compression - some image and video files may even be larger after compression. Like any tool, knowing it well makes a big difference in the effectiveness.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.