cell phone thru washing machine - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th June 2013, 03:05 AM   #1
FrankWW is offline FrankWW  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default cell phone thru washing machine

I put my cell phone thru the wash and 10 - 15 minutes of dryer. What are the odds of survival? Anyone know?
Old 16th June 2013, 03:19 AM   #2
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

Jodi Arias put her cell phone through the wash and she got convicted of murder from the stabbing pictures they recovered from it.

So there's still some hope your phone is functioning.
Old 16th June 2013, 04:45 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

DO NOT TURN IT ON!
Take the back cover off, remove the battery, GENTLY blow out with compressed air, let air-dry for a couple of days. If you're lucky it will work.

Mike
Old 16th June 2013, 07:04 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to DigitalJunkie
Remove the battery and do not turn it on until it's dry!
Put it in a sealed container of rice for a few days,it will absorb the moisture,and if you're lucky,it will work again.
Old 16th June 2013, 11:19 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I managed to drop mine into a glass of Coke once.
It still worked after drying out for a couple of days with the battery removed.
Old 16th June 2013, 01:33 PM   #6
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

If placed in anything other than pure water, electronics often needs washing with water to remove contamination. Use tap water, then deionised water (or, perhaps, deionised water plus some isopropanol). If not, the item may fail a few weeks later when a film of bacteria grow on the remaining sugar/gunge etc. and somehow create conducting paths.
Old 16th June 2013, 03:58 PM   #7
Ron E is offline Ron E  United States
diyAudio Member

I have a small MP3 player with a non-removable battery that has been through the wash 3 times (never the dryer) and it functions fine. I left it sit on a table for 3 or 4 days each time before trying to charge it.

For the phone, to remove the battery and let it dry is good advice. I don't believe the 'sealed container of rice thing' is good advice no matter what anyone says - you'd be better off taking off whatever cases or covers you can and putting it somewhere with dry air blowing on it.
Old 16th June 2013, 04:12 PM   #8
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I ran my Samsung thru the washer and the drier! It worked just fine.
Old 17th June 2013, 10:24 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
If placed in anything other than pure water, electronics often needs washing with water to remove contamination. Use tap water, then deionised water (or, perhaps, deionised water plus some isopropanol). If not, the item may fail a few weeks later when a film of bacteria grow on the remaining sugar/gunge etc. and somehow create conducting paths.
I did none of those things.
My mobile cost the princely sum of 19.95 three years ago and when I dropped it in the coke about a year ago I just thought if it doesn't work when it's dry I'll just get another one.
When and if this Nokia ever dies I'll get one of those water- and shock-proof Samsungs. I don't think I'll ever get a smart phone. There are functions on that twenty quid Nokia I never used, on a smartphone there will be just more functions I won't use.

I'm much more annoyed that my swiss watch didn't survive its trip through the washing machine but then since I got a mobile I'm not wearing any watch anymore anyway. I might get it repaired so I can sell the watch though since they more than double in price since I got it there might be a few hundred pounds in profit to be had.
Old 17th June 2013, 11:59 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I washed my Galaxy SII once. After a thorough rinse and a good dry out it sort of worked. The microphone was gubbed but eventually it died completely.

Hide this!Advertise here!