Sustainability in Audio ...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So how do you reduce the impact when everything is designed to make you buy new and dump (not broken ) but out of vogue products.

I believe the most efficient way is a market economy - it's somewhat self-regulating otherwise it becomes too difficult to manage and besides, people don't like being managed. The problem is, the current pricing for products does not contain costs for sustainability so it sits outside the current market economy. Ultimately, it's necessary to capture these costs inside the product. How you do that is another debate.

But my perception is that the hi-end audio we care about is a rather insignificant factor.

p.s. I agree with Freax that portable audio is a key part of the future, and it will be Class D as a generic technology for amplification.

Last edited:
The hint is Hair dryers, heaters, cookers are all on the hit list..

Thanks goodness, I never saw the point of Hair dryers - I mean, for goodness sake use a towel and a brush :happy1:

And vacuum cleaners have become ridiculous - they generate so much noise that I actually keep a pair of earmuffs to use with mine :eek:

Anyhow, nobody likes to be controlled by lots of rules; as many economists will note the regulatory bodies often don't have the necessary tools to make it work well - so why not try to capture the cost of the environmental impact into the products, into the materials and let (us) the market manage it according to our priorities.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.