Sustainability in Audio ... - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th August 2013, 02:34 AM   #41
diyAudio Member

Location: Mar del Plata, a BIG seasonal getaway city, can see the Ocean from our residence.
Having had disassembled one of those 'CFL' lightbulbs long ago, I am now collecting them for the components inside. Here in Argentina there is a new law about lightbulbs, we cannot buy the common lightbulb, the "wisdom" of the Government has us buying at the most simple, those Halogen mini-bulbs housed in a "full-size" envelope. The big push is towards CFLs but at a ratio of 10:1 pricewise "they" accepted Halogens as the "low cost" alternative.
As is here and most every other third world country very very little in the way of electronics...as a whole or components thereof.... is wasted, truly thrown away to be burned or buried.
Components are used, gutted from "donors" over & over again till it truly is 'waste'.

__________________________________________________ ___Rick........
Old 30th August 2013, 02:58 AM   #42
diyAudio Member

And of course it will be that way anytime there is a true need for anything. These things sort out.
Old 30th August 2013, 05:20 AM   #43
Banned

Quote:
Sustainability in Audio ...
Given the very low level of resource consumption, apart from those room heater things that some people insist on using for reasons that escape me, do we really need a treatise on sustainability? Or is the supposed altruism about sustainability only to make the proponent feel good or pious about themselves (in which case, it is no longer altruistic)?
Old 30th August 2013, 07:23 AM   #44
diyAudio Member

I've got a recycled "I'm a Vegan" t-shirt that I wear out eating steaks.
Old 30th August 2013, 08:00 AM   #45
Banned

Quote:
Let's try to keep this away from politics- forum rules.
Understood, but ultimately sustainability is a political issue, no matter what your position.
Old 30th August 2013, 09:22 AM   #46
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absconditus View Post
Understood, but ultimately sustainability is a political issue, no matter what your position.
If it devolves in that direction, we'll close the thread.
Old 30th August 2013, 02:21 PM   #47
TheGimp is offline TheGimp  United States
diyAudio Member

If it were truly a political issue, wouldn't California be all over it?

I have serious doubt that politicians will do anything constructive.

There are some in CA who truly try to support sustainability, then there are people like Al Gore who could lead but do so by slight of hand. (Buys carbon credits to claim he is carbon neutral! WTF?)

Reality is, true sustainability has to be a grass roots event. My faith in most people simply being cattle gives me little hope of this ever happening. Several generations in the past have promoted sustainability, but as the generation matures it shifts away from it.

Biology shows us that organisms do one two things, they either grow to a peak population and die off as the (food) resources are consumed or they peak and drop back to a sustainable population.

We are still headed for the peak.

No matter how you look at it, the earth has finite resources. As time goes on, processing those resources will take more and more energy. This is true whether it is from recycling, or from working harder to find the resources.

There is a very slim chance we will escape this dirtball to mine the asteroids and other bodies, but the energy necessary to do that will prohibit access if delayed too long.

Yup, I'm a hypocrite. I'm going to burn 31500000 calories of gasoline to go to the Shelby ham fest this weekend. (I have offered several guys at work a ride if they are going).
Old 30th August 2013, 10:03 PM   #48
Banned

Quote:
If it devolves in that direction, we'll close the thread.
It is a Seinfeld thread anyway.
Old 30th August 2013, 11:35 PM   #49
diyAudio Member

If someone was running a Class A amp that burned 500W all the time, it would seem wasteful and unsustainable - which would be correct. But the way the world currently works, if instead they were running a pair of headphones off an AAA cell, all that would happen would be that the money they saved on amp power would be spent on a bigger car, or trips to Disneyland, or invested and lent to other people with 500W amps, burning just as much energy. It's a well known phenomenon with an actual name: The Energy Rebound Effect. A fancy name and interpretation for something very simple.
Old 31st August 2013, 04:35 PM   #50
diyAudio Member

Sure would be nice to have a place you could talk about your hobby without hearing an unrelated agenda

Hide this!Advertise here!