Sustainability in Audio ... - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th June 2013, 11:30 AM   #11
Johno is offline Johno  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi Gentlevoice,
I listen to Vinyl and CD but prefer live, mainly classical.

I want my playback to sound like live and I find what I consider to be the best components to do this no matter their age.

Further, what we do as DIYers is an art. We seek audio perfection and engineering elegance (or in some cases, snake oil) and admire it but are rarely satisfied and always looking for improvement.

Our global impact is probably positive because we recycle but this is totally unintended. Anyway how dare you imply that some bean-counter's notion of sustainability could ever have any relevance to our Art.
Old 17th June 2013, 11:33 AM   #12
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Let's be careful to stay away from politics and political issues. I've had to remove a few posts which stepped over that line.
Old 17th June 2013, 01:32 PM   #13
M Gregg is offline M Gregg  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I think,

You have to take into account changes in format..ie its easy to get people to dump equipment that can no longer play the latest format of music or video..

If you think about DIY audio..if the amplifiers and speakers are separate from the source this stops equipment being junked that is still working..also equipment can be modified to create better equipment..if its got built in CD or DVD players then its got a bigger chance of mechanical failure..this scraps the whole piece of equipment.

I think computers are probably one of the worst environmental impacts on the planet...the operating systems need bigger and better processors and bigger storage..they go out of fashion as fast as mobile phones. They print stupid amounts of paper work...etc..the advertising and junk mail..look at the power consumption linked to servers and screens..

The bottom line is sales and money drive the economy...a company cannot exist without sales..and this means the next new idea to make everything obsolete.
Its cheaper to use new material than recycle old electronic parts...this effects profit margin. most companies don't want you to use someone elses kit so its designed to be difficult to do it and replace parts.

So how do you reduce the impact when everything is designed to make you buy new and dump (not broken ) but out of vogue products. Fashion has another impact..DIY audio is normally a one off.

The next thing is the type of component<<surface mount..makes repair more difficult..then encapsulated parts...with a special company part number..multi layer circuit boards..etc

Eventually you won't be able to reuse parts because they will be part of a solid module..in that module only one part has failed but the whole thing is scrap!

One more thought..think what the impact of electronics is having on old cars<<how many will be on the road in another thirty years when you can't get the fuel system computer..again designed to not be repairable after a time period..I wonder if there is an in built timer in car computers that makes it slowly adjust the settings if its not serviced by the main dealer and shut down after a time set point...They wouldn't do that..never...how could you prove it when the resin block won't work anymore?

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited by M Gregg; 17th June 2013 at 02:01 PM.
Old 17th June 2013, 01:58 PM   #14
gideon is offline gideon  Israel
diyAudio Member

I remember a discussion where Mark from Mark Audio talks about reducing the need for multiple drivers and crossover parts by making good fullrange drivers is part of what he is trying to achieve.

I think it's quite a good example of manufacturers' thinking in that direction.

I also think there can be some interesting movements that may add to the effort such as using wood that renews quickly like bamboo in various builds.

Gideon
Old 17th June 2013, 02:17 PM   #15
M Gregg is offline M Gregg  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I have been thinking about equipment failure,

I notice with old age one of the main failures has been electrolytic capacitors,

I am thinking about using tubecaps polypropylene in the psu.

A digital clock I made in 1976 just failed <<it was the PSU electrolytic cap...so it lasted on 24 hrs a day from then until now..put a new cap in and away it went again (working fine)...the semiconductors all still OK and power Tx. However we don't see new equipment lasting<<<why?

The cap I took out was ITT 1000uf 16V...now if new parts are better????

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited by M Gregg; 17th June 2013 at 02:26 PM.
Old 19th June 2013, 04:30 PM   #16
rdf is offline rdf  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Gregg View Post
I think computers are probably one of the worst environmental impacts on the planet...
Maybe. With the transition of data from physical media to electronic storage it would be interesting to see a study on the savings in trees, chemicals for paper processing, travel eliminated for teleconferencing, etc.. It also touches on a different aspect of audio sustainability: the elimination of vinyl and polycarbonate in favour of electronic distribution and storage.
Old 24th June 2013, 07:59 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Hi all,

I have a practical question: I will soon be using some batteries and during an earlier search on the internet I read in a life-cycle analysis that LiFePO4 batteries should have a better sustainability profile than most other (usable) batteries.

Although in short form this is also reflected in this link:

LiFePO4 Batteries

However, I don't know which companies combine a sustainable production with quality & reliable LiFePO4 products - that are also accessible.

Any suggestions here? My guess would be A123Systems but maybe there are others?

Greetings,

Jesper
Old 24th June 2013, 09:43 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Sustainability per se is a red herring I think: it's just a question of how long until the 'stuff' runs out (or at least becomes uneconomic). And the way our current economics works, success is deemed to be the policies which use the stuff up as fast as possible.

So as I turn on my power-hungry old PC and for convenience even stream audio that I already own on CD, crank up my inefficient Class AB amps and drive my massive box speakers very loud, I am well aware that I am living in a golden age; tomorrow's audiophiles will listen on headphones to recycled MP3 players while pedalling hard.
Old 27th June 2013, 04:02 AM   #19
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

i'm toying with wifi charging + supercaps + batteries for a portable headphone amp/dac/streamer, we'll see how much I can get out of the air around here. if nothing else I should be able to run the MCU by it, allowing me to keep that separate from signal ground.
Old 13th August 2013, 04:11 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Hi again diy'ers,

As I've mentioned in post #1 I've drawn up this Life Cycle Analysis (LCA) Chart that I suggest is considered/used as a reference when posting in this thread. A bit more info in post #1.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/loung...ml#post3527251

Greetings,

Jesper
Attached Images
File Type: jpg life_cycle_assessment_own.jpg (124.4 KB, 159 views)

Last edited by gentlevoice; 13th August 2013 at 04:25 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!