Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th June 2013, 12:47 PM   #1
Bruklyn is offline Bruklyn  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Boombox help please!

This is my first post here & the reason I'm posting is I'm looking to make a small but loud enough boombox for work. I work in a factory that requires earplugs so it has to be loud enough to hear and small enough to fit in a locker or take with me when I leave. I've read many articles & threads on the subject but am still having a hard time finalizing a plan.

My first thought was to get a small class T amp Dayton,sure,lepai etc & 4 full range drivers or a small woofer tweeter combo & just play music from my iPod/iPhone but but soon realized keeping it charged would be a problem.

Next I thought I'd add an iPod dock that I could play & charge from at the same time but then wasn't happy with only being able to play from just my iPod, no radio,cd's etc.

Then I thought a car cd deck would be perfect, it plays cd's has a radio, plays from an MP3 player or flash drive & doesn't need an amp. The problem with that is the size by the time u add speakers & a box it might be a bit bigger than I would like.

So my question is, I would to be able to play and charge my iPod, listen to the radio & hopefully from a flash drive. Does anyone know a way this could be done & still kept fairly portable?
Thanks Jeff
Old 13th June 2013, 06:05 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Sorry if I posted in the wrong forum, can anyone suggest a more appropriate forum or website? Thanks
Old 13th June 2013, 08:47 AM   #3
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

Maybe you're better off to wear earbuds underneath over-the-ear hearing protectors. Or, there are jobsite headphone radios that have input jacks for MP3 players (I picked up the remains of one beside the highway), and Peltor makes "listen-only" passive headsets (got a pair of those from a thrift store). The latter are expensive, and the stock configuration has them wired for mono only, and from the looks of the transducer, they will lack bass. Perhaps you could scrounge the transducers from a decent pair of headphones and fit them inside a good pair of hearing protectors.

If you search eBay or DealExtreme, you'll find some modules which include an MP3 player and radio, maybe an amp as well. On the other hand, a Sansa Clip+ is a great little MP3 and FLAC player that includes an FM radio, and takes uSDHC cards for expansion.
Old 13th June 2013, 10:08 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

They recently banned all headphones at my work due to safety issues. I also came across DX electronics recently but wasn't sure if the built in amp would b loud enough but think I could bypass it & although I could probably figure out how to do it my soldering skills are non existent but will look more into that it seems to be my best option ATM thanks
Old 9th July 2013, 03:29 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I was hoping to use an iPod/iPhone with this I just bought 160W Hi-Fi Stereo Amplifier MP3 Player for Car/Motorcycle - Blue + Silver (SD/USB) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme but using the USB cable it will not charge or transfer data, it will start charging then the charging icon will flicker a couple times then nothing. I'm assuming its a voltage issue? Not sure how to fix it if it can be fixed, I know I can use the 3.5 mm jack but don't think my phone would last playing spotify for 8 hours without being charged. Thanks Jeff
Old 13th July 2013, 09:18 AM   #6
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

The USB socket is probably just for thumbdrives, and can't supply enough current. Could you just use a separate supply to run the phone?
Old 13th July 2013, 10:49 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to JonSnell Electronic
Building a power amplifier and speaker system will only add to the noise already there. Ear buds under your ear defenders is certainly the way I would go.

Hide this!Advertise here!