Replace old Bose Wave speaker - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th June 2013, 12:57 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Replace old Bose Wave speaker

I have a vintage Bose Wave radio made in 1998. The right speaker has "hiss" which makes me think that the foam ring may need replacing. The speaker is 2.5 in. and is stamped 171494 and 9811H4. It may be (or not) easier to find an adaptable speaker, as I can't find any foam repair kits for this unit. Any advice out there?
Old 10th June 2013, 11:06 PM   #2
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

Yes this: Does it sit there making hiss even when no sound is being made otherwise? Or is your hiss only present on top of other signals? A bad speaker will not make sound when it is sitting there trying to be silent. If the foam surround is rotted, it may well make the voice coil rub and add some scratchiness to the sounds, but it won't make a speaker cause sound all on its own.

Does turning all your amp controls to zero affect the hiss?
Old 10th June 2013, 11:44 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Bose speaker hiss

The right speaker has only hiss, no signal, while the left speaker plays the music on the station. I don't seem to have an amp control on this unit. Wave vintage 1998
Old 11th June 2013, 05:25 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

That is an electronic problem, somewhere between the radio tuner section, and the right-channel power amplifier. There may indeed be some justification for replacing the speaker, but the symptoms you report do not correlate to any physical or mechanical defect of the speaker itself.

Bose always seemed to be rather secretive about the innards of the Wave Radios so your only recourse may be an authorized service center.

Dale
Old 11th June 2013, 07:55 PM   #5
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

Elektrotanya has at least two Bose Wave Radio schematics for free download, plus some other "acoustic wave" models.
Old 11th June 2013, 10:20 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default speaker hiss bose

It occurred to me to hooker the left speaker to the right wires and the hiss is still there. I suspect a circuit issue; any ideas on how to repair that now that bad speaker has been eliminated?
Old 11th June 2013, 10:39 PM   #7
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

They are pretty tight lipped about their products. You send it back to them, they tell you it's too old for them to fix but they'll give you 20% off a new one for product loyalty.
Old 13th June 2013, 09:03 AM   #8
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

Print out the schematics, then use signal injection or signal tracing to locate the problem area. If the schematics don't apply, maybe there are identifiable chips in there. If so, find the data sheets or app notes, and then do signal injection or tracing at the input and output terminals.

Hide this!Advertise here!