Replace old Bose Wave speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a vintage Bose Wave radio made in 1998. The right speaker has "hiss" which makes me think that the foam ring may need replacing. The speaker is 2.5 in. and is stamped 171494 and 9811H4. It may be (or not) easier to find an adaptable speaker, as I can't find any foam repair kits for this unit. Any advice out there?

Yes this: Does it sit there making hiss even when no sound is being made otherwise? Or is your hiss only present on top of other signals? A bad speaker will not make sound when it is sitting there trying to be silent. If the foam surround is rotted, it may well make the voice coil rub and add some scratchiness to the sounds, but it won't make a speaker cause sound all on its own.

Does turning all your amp controls to zero affect the hiss?

That is an electronic problem, somewhere between the radio tuner section, and the right-channel power amplifier. There may indeed be some justification for replacing the speaker, but the symptoms you report do not correlate to any physical or mechanical defect of the speaker itself.

Bose always seemed to be rather secretive about the innards of the Wave Radios so your only recourse may be an authorized service center.

Dale

Print out the schematics, then use signal injection or signal tracing to locate the problem area. If the schematics don't apply, maybe there are identifiable chips in there. If so, find the data sheets or app notes, and then do signal injection or tracing at the input and output terminals.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.