Good AND cheap commercial interconnects?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2011
hi everyone, I do not want to make diy interconnects right now because I want to have some kind of commercial reference. Something that people think is definitely good quality,
Anyone know a good and cheap commercial interconnect that I could get as a reference and then venture into making my own. Those interconnects would allow me to give me a fair comparison and see if my diy interconnects holds to the commercials ones...
I hope that was clear
thanks

It is quite difficult to make a DIY interconnect which is better than an ordinary competent commercial one. It is much easier to make an interconnect which sounds different, due to mistakes in design or construction; some then conclude that the change is an improvement. If you have good equipment then all decent interconnects will sound the same; only poor equipment is fussy about wires.

. I second the Blue Jeans Cable suggestion. I replaced most of my interconnects with cables made from Belden 89259 built by them. Very satisfied with the construction. One of them has even survived being gnawed on by our cat. .

Funny thing, my cat is rather partial to cables as well, and has already seen off two ipad chargers and one phone charger. He also had a go at my blue jean interconnects, but gave up in disgust. I'm just worried that one day he'll take on a live 240 v AC lead and win. :(

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2011
I have used cheap interconnects that had very little, or very bad shielding. You have to be careful of that. Be sure that the connectors fit well. That's about it for audio.
yes I think so. Whirly Wisp IC's cost 60$ and was comparable to the anti cable IC's which cost 100$.
I did a blind test with my girlfriend. I compared a 1$ IC, a 10$ Acoustic Reasrch IC's and the Wirly Wisp silver IC's.
My girlfriend found almsot difference at all. She prefered overall the AR IC's, the the Wirly wisp then the 1$, but the difference was so small, she couldnt bothered...

Also, I have anti cable speaker wire, the "revered" ones. well my GF prefered definitely some cheap copper wire.

Weird, this is weird. I think that at best, theres a minimal difference between cable and that its not really worth spending any time/energy/money on the cables, but maybe im wrong, and that my limited experience is exactly that, limited, but so far, the difference are so small that I wonder if I'm really missing something here.

Part of the answer is that it's no good treating the cables as something that has a special quality apart from the whole. To use a simplistic phrase, "It's the system, stupid!". What counts is how well the entire chain of components works to get the job done, and a particular cable will help and hinder aspects of that happening. Also, a lot of people miss that a cable has ends, and this is where a lot of the damage is done. If I were asked to assess a cable the first thing I would do is chop off the connectors and hard wire a clean length of the material in place ...

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.