Fancy Interconnects? How about a potato, or even mud?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Pano, great idea, great fun, first couple of runs on my computer system did not reveal any obvious differences.

I need more time to run it through Diffmaker, but first need to convert MP3 to wav.

I tried to download converters but got entangled in a web of installation requests for search bars, PC tune up programs and what have you.

Does anyone have a link to a good converter from a trustworthy source?

I'm sure you can get a difference in DiffMaker (the flac files should convert easily), the more interesting question is whether or not you can actually hear a difference. After all, if there's night and day audible differences between copper and silver or PVC and Teflon, you'd think that banana/potato vs copper or mud ought to be blatantly evident.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
yep, you'd hope it would be clear as...... mud.

To convert MP3 to wave should not be hard, I think there are a lot of free converters around. Audacity will do it (use "export" function) and it's free. It's a lot more than just a drag and drop converter, tho. Or how about Foobar?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Did some fun experiments in the shop today. Sent a signal (a guy talking on a microphone) thru a banana, then thru a potato, then with the banana and the potato touching each other. Then we sent it thru the potato, 5 people holding hands, and back thru the banana.
There were many jokes about "Here - Hold my banana". :D

All worked flawlessly. It's very amusing to hear a voice going thru a fruit, a vegetable and a chain of 5 people. Everyone was astonished at how well it worked. There was a few dB attenuation, but no real change in the sound.

Try it yourself, amaze your friends!

Come to think of it, this is even stranger than I thought.

I don't know how to Google this and I never thought about it before, but there is a fundamentally different kind of electron flow going on than in normal conductors. No free electrons here. The transport must be ionic.

I would never have guessed that the propagation speed in ionic transport would be high enough for audio, altough I am sure someone must have measured it sometime.

P.s. with DC on the signal you might create your own oxigen, always a healthy combination with fruit.

Edit: what I mean with propagation speed is that two electro-chemical reactions need to take place at both cathode and anode, the electrons flow through the circuit, this goes fast enough :)

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Well the carpenter's pencil I used did not work. I may try again with another pencil.
En attendant a schematic, here is a quick photo.

Attachments

• banana-man.jpg
    banana-man.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 388
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Most impressive that it is though the skin as well (of the fruit and potato, not to mention yours)!! I know that from playing around with the scope that I am great at picking up 50Hz, but I'm a terrible conductor not sure if an audio signal will pass though me unscathed ;)

Tony.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Tony, there is a good bit of attenuation, banana and human much more than the potato.
But I think the input impedance of the circuit we used today is 10K. You gotta expect some attenuation.

I also sent video thru the potato, but that was much more difficult.

I had my year 7 classes doing that experiment.
Turning on the LED indicator in a soil moisture tester, using a human chain that they extended to 20 pupils standing in a big circle touching index finger tip to tip.
I never checked whether Pinkie tip to tip or Thumb tip to tip changed the bass response of the soil moisture tester.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.