Fancy Interconnects? How about a potato, or even mud?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Listening through Sony MDR-1R on a laptop.
If you held a gun to my head I'd say A and D were a little dull, but the difference is so minor it could be psychological.
I wouldn't be at all surprised if you said they were all the same file and you were waiting for someone to make a fool of themselves! (let's wait for all the people claiming to hear the obvious difference to appear when the coding is unveiled!)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Thanks nannoo,

Yes, this was an analog signal, line level. About 1V or less RMS.

I could trick everyone and use the same file, but I didn't, that would be cruel. :)
No, they really are what they claim to be, the original, the loop thru a wire, the loop thru mud and the loop thru a potato and a banana. I did not record the orange.

A 440Hz test tone was run first to set record levels as close as possible, then a slight digital volume control was done in post so that they all match in level by better than 0.2dB
Also, in the mud and the banana recordings, the right channel seemed to pick up more noise than the left - not sure why. The noise is down >50dB, but I went ahead and pulled it out with a digital filter, just so that someone clever couldn't tell.

Therefore all files but the original have had a little bit of digital processing done to them. Slight, but still processed.

Nice set of files, Pano ... pretty obvious, C is the original - on a quick listen with Audacity, on the PC speakers. All the others are degraded to some degree, interesting how much the straight DA/AD loop damaged the sound so much ...

Will have a go later on guessing the other 'fits' ...

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I'm thinking that any flesh might work well: a pork chop with wires attached. Wouldn't want to use chicken though, since everything already tastes like chicken.
How about a goat? LOL.

Actually my first test was..... me. From left hand to right. It worked OK but with a marked bass roll-off. I didn't post that one, as it's a bit too, you know, personal. ;)

I think I can make a volume control out of sausage. Will try it later this week.

Fas, your posts make me looool!

interesting how much the straight DA/AD loop damaged the sound so much ...

Will have a go later on guessing the other 'fits' ...

>>so the straight digital conversion does "a lot" of damage to the sound
>>but you can't identify it instantaneously against the mud/potato?

pretty obvious, C is the original

I'd bet C is the conversion loop, B is the original.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.